Spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, virtually the same price - altho you can do better on the reg & spg I think.
I agree, I paid right at $120.00 for a used SP Mk2 and R190 at the LDS. YMMV.

OP: If you already have a backup reg set and rigging its a total no brainer then in my opinion since that's more than half the cost right there.

DandyDon: Yeah the weight and bulk are the only things keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 30cf and I may end up with a 19cf since 90% of my diving is after travel (I just don't enjoy the 5-10' vis quarries we have locally)

The 19cf is 2 inches shorter and an inch less diameter in addition to being 3.5ish pounds lighter according to Aluminum SCUBA Tanks - Dive Gear Express

Don do you just empty it for air travel?

sent via nookcolor N2A.

According to the TSA travel guidelines the cylinder must be emptied and valve removed to allow for visual inspection.

However, that's for carry-on, not sure for checked luggage if its universal or does it depend on the airline? Continental requires the same as TSA guidelines but it may vary depending on the airline. Someone else may be able to clarify that point.

Don do you just empty it for air travel?

sent via nookcolor N2A.
Empty and remove valve as required for any tank - pony or spare air. Replace and refill on arrival, keeping as clean as possible. Technically you need a viz but if I am happy with how clean it's kept, good enough. Taken it on dozens of trips, no problems - other than getting it to the fill shack the night before diving.

TSA regs say to leave the neck open but I cover it with 2" electric tape, no residue like duct tape, and leave doubled ends so it's easy to remove and look. Worked so far. The valve I wrap in bubble wrap, then pack inside a ziplock, beside the pony.

According to the TSA travel guidelines the cylinder must be emptied and valve removed to allow for visual inspection.

However, that's for carry-on, not sure for checked luggage if its universal or does it depend on the airline? Continental requires the same as TSA guidelines but it may vary depending on the airline. Someone else may be able to clarify that point.
Carry-on or checked - same rule, and I always check mine. Don't tell the airline. Some will try to charge you. Continental rules still include a charge.

I thought taking the valve off was a PITA. Good to know.

I thought taking the valve off was a PITA. Good to know.
It should only be hand tight. I got confused once on the direction to turn. :silly:

is this the same for my regular tank? gulp.

is this the same for my regular tank? gulp.
Same what? All recreational tanks at least should have hand tight valves so as to not ruin the O-ring, but under pressure the valve is more secure. One of the reasons they don't like for you to breath a tank down to zero.

There are 2 things dumber than a 3 cf Spare Air: 1.7 cf Spare Air and their Nitrox model.

I didn't know that. Learn something new every day. thanks.

Same what? All recreational tanks at least should have hand tight valves so as to not ruin the O-ring, but under pressure the valve is more secure. One of the reasons they don't like for you to breath a tank down to zero.

There are 2 things dumber than a 3 cf Spare Air: 1.7 cf Spare Air and their Nitrox model.
Why? They also have 1.1cf "Extreme" model. It's even more compact:wink:

Well, at least it's not marketed for SCUBA, to be fair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom