Speared in face - Mor Mui Reservoir, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I call " Bull-Sheet"...Let's looks at the physics of this instead of the emotional click bait of the picture.

*) The spear is 4ft long and the trigger assembly therefore is behind the spear end tip. The man's out-stretched arm is no way long enough to pull the trigger from that angle.

*) Angle > To achieve that 'Cheek' shot, he would have to hold the point of the barrel with the trigger on the far end UP AT SHOULDER height. The only instance your outstretched arm would be at shoulder height would maybe at the surface, treading water.

*) Force - Remember to generate force in direction, there must be 'resistance" in the opposite direction or the force just fails flat. {Newton's law?} Someone has to stiff arm, tightly hold that trigger handle to provide a non-moveable back force so the spear will move forward at the force required for extreme penetration.

*) Penetration #1 - Overseas guns are measured in CM not inches. The most popular is a 110cm or 42 inch gun. This small gun has very little power/force. No way can I even fully penetrate a small 15lb grouper when I'm shooting one that's corned under a ledge. It's a very weak length of gun.

*) Penetration #2 - While sitting here reading this,,take your fingers and touch your head at the same points you see on the entry & exit of the picture above. Feel those thick hard bones ??. Even grouper head bone shots I have taken get the spear stuck in the bone with my MUCH more powerful 52" gun and that grouper's bones are 1/4 thinner than the bones you just felt on your face. Now look at the picture again. See how far out the otherside the spear traveled? (at least a foot). If it had that much power to make it that far thru, it would have continued it's momentum and exited, NOT STOPPED HALFWAY. Not even a 2nd shooter could have used his gun to achieve that penetration.

This is clearly an emotional click bait picture, that completely fails the real life physics that all of us genuine spearos seek to overcome in our regular dives. But the picture got it's clicks & it's ad revenue.

I call " Bull-Sheet"...Let's looks at the physics of this instead of the emotional click bait of the picture.

*) The spear is 4ft long and the trigger assembly therefore is behind the spear end tip. The man's out-stretched arm is no way long enough to pull the trigger from that angle.
Yep. I was trying to picture in my head how someone may have been able to shoot themselves, and was not able to picture it. Even with a mid handle, where the trigger is forward from the rear of the spear it would be quite a stretch.
*) Force - Remember to generate force in direction, there must be 'resistance" in the opposite direction or the force just fails flat. {Newton's law?} Someone has to stiff arm, tightly hold that trigger handle to provide a non-moveable back force so the spear will move forward at the force required for extreme penetration.
The spear would still move some, as it’s less mass and resistance than the gun, but certainly not full force. I guess a freak accident where the trigger may have been caught by a tree brach is possible, but definitely requires a lot of things to line up just right.
This is clearly an emotional click bait picture, that completely fails the real life physics that all of us genuine spearos seek to overcome in our regular dives. But the picture got it's clicks & it's ad revenue.
When I looked at the first picture, and read the description, they didn’t make sense to me. Spear doesn’t look to be in the right angle for a through cheek out nose shot. The described angle makes the shot himself story even more suspect as the shot would be originating from behind.

His budy shot him on the boat while handing him the speargun.
Every year there is a number of accidents of guys getting shot in the head and every single time it turns out to have been a buddy accident that they try to cover up.
Which is why you are not supposed to have a loaded gun on the boat, a rule that all of us follow I'm sure (wink wink, nudge nudge)
A 90cm gun with a single 18mm band holds more power than a 9mm bullet btw, that spear has a lot of force behind it.

His budy shot him on the boat while handing him the speargun.
That's not what the article says, but even still the skull penetration is not possible.

A 90cm gun with a single 18mm band holds more power than a 9mm bullet btw, that spear has a lot of force behind it.
A 42 inch spear with 2 rubber bands travels at 120 ft/sec. A 9mm bullet travels at 1500 ft/sec. It's not even close for comparison. If you add in underwater, there still is not enough power for penetration thru skull bone plus an extra foot. The article is merely click bait.

That's not what the article says, but even still the skull penetration is not possible.

A 42 inch spear with 2 rubber bands travels at 120 ft/sec. A 9mm bullet travels at 1500 ft/sec. It's not even close for comparison. If you add in underwater, there still is not enough power for penetration thru skull bone plus an extra foot. The article is merely click bait.
You forgot the other part of the kinetic energy formula and the medium the projectiles move in.
The 9mm bullet weighs 10 grams, my 6.76mm*160cm shaft weighs around 600 grams.
And if that's not enough, here's video proof of a penetration test, it's not a 9mil but some kind of a shotgun round.

Ever seen a bow hunter? Those guys are killing stuff way thicker than a human skull with way less kinetic energy at a couple of times the range.

"Because this type of harpoon does not have a safety system"

May I hope that this is not the norm?
It’s not. Each of my spearguns have a safety mechanism. Even so, the best safety is the one between the ears. Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Don’t point at anyone/anything you don’t intend to shoot.

It's obvious it wasn't in his hand then isn't it?
*) Angle > To achieve that 'Cheek' shot, he would have to hold the point of the barrel with the trigger on the far end UP AT SHOULDER height. The only instance your outstretched arm would be at shoulder height would maybe at the surface, treading water.
Not in his hand - not relevant
Something caused the gun to go off. In my experience of cheap guns with no safety, hitting the butt on a rock could cause that and would also solve the recoil problem.
*) Penetration #1 - Overseas guns are measured in CM not inches. The most popular is a 110cm or 42 inch gun. This small gun has very little power/force. No way can I even fully penetrate a small 15lb grouper when I'm shooting one that's corned under a ledge. It's a very weak length of gun.
Now that is utter crap. A small gun is 55cm/21 inch. With a 110 I'd happily go hunting kingfish bigger than the gun.
*) Penetration #2 - While sitting here reading this,,take your fingers and touch your head at the same points you see on the entry & exit of the picture above. Feel those thick hard bones ??. Even grouper head bone shots I have taken get the spear stuck in the bone with my MUCH more powerful 52" gun and that grouper's bones are 1/4 thinner than the bones you just felt on your face. Now look at the picture again. See how far out the otherside the spear traveled? (at least a foot). If it had that much power to make it that far thru, it would have continued it's momentum and exited, NOT STOPPED HALFWAY. Not even a 2nd shooter could have used his gun to achieve that penetration.
You can kinda see this in one of the pictures. To me it looks like it went in the cheek and out the nose. The more blurred pics make it look like it went straight through his head.
It's a freak accident that wouldn't have happened if he had followed basic safety procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom