Spearfishing by Freediving Only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may know more than you think Chad,
- I dive regularly on reefs that have been depleted of pretty much all the fish larger than 4 kilos. Most of this damage has been done by spear fishermen, with hook and line a close second.
- Sport fishing by a mixture of spear and hook and line has played a major role in massive depletion of fish stocks of many Caribbean islands starting in the 20's.
- Spearing is the method of choice throughout the Bahamas for instance where I lived for more than a year and had various friends who lived from the sea. the Bahamas is huge but fishermen are resourceful and effective. Many areas there are pretty much devoid of large fish especially near population centres.

- As far as coming onto this board to "blast spearfisherman": Ronjac asked for input from other countries from divers. That's me and I am just giving my viewpoint, but don't assume I'm ignorant, we just have different sets of knowledge and experience. While you may be responsible and many of your friends in Florida may be too, there are many other spearfishermen who are ignorant and harmful all over the world. Just go to the keys in lobster season to see the best examples of that, or come down here to Mexico and see the guy walking along the beach with dozens of creatures of all sorts, octupus, lobsters, snappers etc., mostly all tiny like an oversized shish kebab on his spear.
Long lines and nets do cause more harm indeed overall in all environments, but spearfishing is one of the worst for reefs where nets don't get used.
- I also came on this forum because someone was asking how he could find someone to take him spearfishing here in the Riviera Maya where I know that this would be harmful and illegal, he was also contemplating doing it in a park!! Might have aggravated me a bit and got me started.

We probably agree that commercial fishing is the big offender, that could be done responsibly too, but longlines and pretty much most nets are not it. That leaves us with spears, traps and hook and line.
Don't tell me you never killed a big female fish either, also, a large male is genetically important if only just because he survived to get that old.
It has been proven that the pressure on reef fish is driving populations smaller and they are breeding younger just to survive.

- Bob3's comments are good
"Hook & line fishing, we often see a trail of dead, undersize, and/or non-target species drifting away in a trail behind the boat.
When we spear, it's the first legal size fish of the type we're after.
I would describe spearfishing as having the potential of being the most responsible form of fishing out there.
As with anything, the proper application is dependent upon the integrity of the person doing the fishing but hook & line has a LOT of wasteful practices built right into it, no matter how responsible the person doing the fishing is."
I think there are a lot of unscrupulous fishermen in the world by whatever method but taken as a whole massive overfishing is occurring and causing great harm to the seas, oceans, lakes and rivers of the world. If you eat seafood that was taken irresponsibly, you are part of the problem, and I'm not addressing that to spearfishermen alone but we all count.
I fish only with hook and line and almost never kill a fish. But I don't fish in very deep water either and Bob3's point about expanded bladders is a good one. Many many anglers practice catch and release and while this does cause some harm, a spear is kind of final.

- Bob3 puts his finger right on one of the problems though when he says, "When we spear, it's the first legal size fish of the type we're after."
Spearing tends to target only certain species and over time tends to greatly reduce their numbers and typically removes larger fish of these species from the ecosystem, this is very harmful to tropical reefs in a way that hook and line and traps are not since they are more general in nature.
thorndog

- Bob3 puts his finger right on one of the problems though when he says, "When we spear, it's the first legal size fish of the type we're after."
Spearing tends to target only certain species and over time tends to greatly reduce their numbers and typically removes larger fish of these species from the ecosystem, this is very harmful to tropical reefs in a way that hook and line and traps are not since they are more general in nature.
thorndog

Wouldn't this general nature make H/L and traps precisely more harmful than waiting for a legal fish?

So a guy with a pole reels in whatever was swiming by his bait and happens to be a very ilegal fish. This guy is a very ethical fishermen so he releases this fish as fast and careful as he can, but guess what? this fish is already damaged... VERY damaged if it was a deep water fish.

In what planet that is less harmful that a guy with a speargun looking at that same ilegal fish letting it go on its merry swim? This guys does target a type of fish, but it is a LEGAL fish.

Also... if we compare the damage a bad shot can make to the reef to what a small amount of fishing line does to that same reef, I think you have to agree that the "line" from the Hook and Line is more harmful.

If you want to say that fishing is bad, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. To try to actually explain that topside fishing is less harmful than spearfishing is going to require some quantum logic because I don't think regular logic will cover it.

Wow, sorry everybody, being very new to the board, I didn't realize that my question would raise so many passionate responses. My intent was to see how people from different countries go about spearfishing and gathering, what regulations they are expected to follow by their local laws and how it is all working.

Since joining scuba board not long ago, I have learned a lot. There are quite a few regulars to this and other boards that might be looking for a new places to spearfish shortly. Though I don't live anywhere near the ocean, (I live on the other end of I-15 for those of you in Ca. and it is WAY COLD outside right now) I would like to be able to spearfish, catch lobster and so on when I do get there.

None of my friends that scuba dive are remotely interested in spearfishing, lobstering, and so forth, so I've been on my own when we make it to the coast to go diving. All of you here on the board are my mentors along with some books that I've purchased.

So, I have every intent of adding spearfishing and freediving to my infrequent dive trips in California and am trying to figure out about doing some freshwater spearfishing in the mean time to keep myself busy.

Meanwhile, I apologize again and will keep my questions to myself and will attempt to learn a little more quietly.

Good Luck.

Rich (UTAH) don't bail out on us. . . the temperature is rising, but no flames. You've brought some very talented divers together to share their experiences.

For your benefit - there are a lot of freshwater spearfishermen . . . check the Utah game department for their regulations. Nearly all states will let you hunt the "trash" fish like the non-native carp. What you learn in hunting and spearing rough fish will entertain you now and prepare you for spearfishing other areas. Go to "Forums. . . Regional travel. . . " check for your state or region of the country. There are some states that allow half a limit of all game fish, so you can put something on the table.

Like the group of blind men all describing an elephant, we all have a different perspective.

Hey Mudhole, wasn't planning on bailing, just keeping my trap shut until I became a little more familiar with the lay of the land so to speak. I appreciate the encouragement and am planning on practicing on the local rough fish and hopefully, game fish as well. The reg's do allow spearfishing in some of the local lakes.

Thanks,

Rich

Spear fishing is far more harmful than hook and line fishing since the 'hunter' almost always kills the biggest prize he (or she)can find. Especially commercial fishermen.
The biggest fish are the most important ones since they produce so many more eggs and are proven survivors. Fact; A 10 kg grouper produces 97 times more eggs than a 1kg grouper.
Missed shots damage coral too.

In the USA, local state fisheries agencies work together with NOAA to determine legal size limits for fish. The legal size limits are set up to ensure that the fish are effective breeders before they become legal size for taking. I am not in agreement with you, however, if you think that spearfishermen are shooting too many breeding fish then your issues lie with fisheries management agencies and should not be misdirected at spearfishermen.

Thorndog makes a good point. Unregulated spear fishing can be a bad thing for the reef. But unregulated is the key word here. Laws mean nothing without inforcement. Outside the US, this is a big problem.

I saw a video by Dr Terry Maas last summer at The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar & Expo.

Part of it can be seen here: http://seawatch.org/mail_campaign/alert2.new.html

Quotes from the Seawatch.org website:

"Using compressed air has been banned in Mexico for sports fishermen for 40 years, but since commercial fishermen weren’t named specifically they have been allowed to use compressed air to clean the reef."

"Pistoleros are killing the Bay of La Paz. About 6 years ago, while other methods of catching fish had rapidly declined night time spearfishing became the last productive method of killing large and profitable reef fish.
25 to 40 boats kill 3-5 tons of reef fish daily, that's over 1000 TONS EACH YEAR."

Thorndog,

I'm sorry you live in a country that I and many others think does not regulate their fisheries properly.

Mexico is terribly overfished in many areas. About 12 years ago afriend went to the Chinchoros Bank about 20+ miles off the Mexican coast to film for ESPN. There were no legal size fish on this huge reef. He's a tech diver and had to dive to 250' to find a legal size fish to tape.
I read the Mexican commercial hookah divers are now diving to 200+ feet too to continue finding fish.
Seawatch says that in another 10 years they will have wiped out all the fish on the reefs.

Bob3 did not agree with you, nor does anyone else here.

I stand by everything I wrote. Spears don't kill, people do.

I'm glad you mostly practice responsible catch and release.

I do that too. It's called "counting coup". I don't shoot a large part of the time. I point my finger and fire my thumb. I also shoot a lot of video and photos while others spearfish.

Don't blast a fishing method that is soundly practiced in other countries, just because it's a problem in Mexico.

I'm not going to even comment on fish traps.

Our regulations in the Gulf of Mexico appear to be dropping hugely this next year despite some very questionable science, but it has nothing to do with spearfishing specifically. The FL Atlantic coast will likely also match the new 45% less regulations we are facing. Little has changed here regarding spearfishing versus H&L regulations in many years, because things work pretty well, and we fight pretty hard to keep discrimination from going on like it was in the past.

There are size slots in some US fishing regulations, and if the regulators felt they needed more they would already be adding them, but there is little change going on there.

In the Bahamas they also allow commercial Bahamian divers on hookahs to hunt where recreational freedivers and hook & line fishermen can only fish for a 20 lbs. limit. That is poor regulation as well in my opinion, although I agree with their right to allow only freediving and no triggers.

Chad

A little story. I was working for a company in the late 80's. I was sent to Kingston, Jamaica to service some compressors for a commercial lobster and conch company. This company had several converted trawlers and used Dominican divers to harvest the lobster and conch. I learned that the Jamaicans were at that time, fishing 40 miles off their coast as everything closer in had been depleted to the point that it wasn't worth "fishing" there. I serviced a compressor on board one of the vessels and had a local helper for assistance. I drained the oil from the compressor and asked my helper to dispose of the oil properly. I watched in horror as he walked to the port side and dumped the oil over the side.

I also rebuilt a compressor that had been in their storage locker. While working on this machine, I watched as women began boiling water to cook lobster that was destined for Japan after being cooked and frozen. I watched as lobster were dropped in the pots. There were no size limits and it didn't matter if they were females with eggs, everything went in the pots.

I spoke with one of the senior captains and was told that these Dominican divers were making 10-12 dives a day to 80' or more with no thought to tables. Basically as fast as they could switch out tanks. When I said something about deco sickness, he said that they just tossed them a bag of pot and let them "smoke off" the pain. Average career span for the divers was about two seasons.

When you have national attitudes like this and a very poor population for the most part, you can't convince people that they should be concerned with any environmental issues, when their family is hungry.

That is what is responsible for the depletion of coral reef life, whether it is by spearfishing or other means. The US has regulations to try and protect our fisheries and of the caribbean islands (coastal countries as well) I believe Cuba is the only one that truly regulates it's fisheries.

So saying spearfishing is causing this destruction is absurd.

Craig

I could care less what any other country does nor their opinion.Unless they are directly affecting our fish stocks.

By far the US has the most actively researched fisheries management,we have the largest stocking system,we have the largest system of artificial reefs.By and large our populace is not sustenance fishing but as a hobby.Our commercial fleets have restrictions on gear,spawning closures,limited entry licenses and a host of other regulations that help to keep our fisheries healthy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom