Spearfishing Ethics...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When fishing, I prefer depth charges. This brings up all fish and then when you get chased by the Marine Patrol, you have defensive capabilities. Fish seeking torpedoes help, especially when you can program the computers for the size and species of fish you want and just let them do their thing. The underwater GPS unit helps track where the fish is when the device goes off. There is a new HARPOON style torpedo that actually spears said fish and returns to your boat like a retriever but this still expensive and tends to bring back freaked out scuba divers more than fish.
As for hunting, nothing beats remote activated claymore mines and 10,000 round per minute miniguns. It's a pain to carry all the ammo, but it's so much easier to be able to shoot, and clean in one or two sweeps of the barrels saving so much time and energy than with that tiny skinning knife thing. The minigun is also useful for clearing new hunting trails and removing those pesky unwanted squirrels which are both noisey and too small to clean and eat.
I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Not all of them, there's still the Hidden hit and run tactics of the Columbian River Otter Brigade.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
There is a new HARPOON style torpedo that actually spears said fish and returns to your boat like a retriever but this still expensive and tends to bring back freaked out scuba divers more than fish.

Is this device available for wayward stray children family members that think snorkeling is " Cool "? Or is it strickly for mother in laws on scuba!!

I have a class-mate that does freediving since 10 years and hunts as well.

It's way too easy to hunt with the scuba equipment on your back. It's not a matter of eating what you catch, it is when you catch way too critters without even sweating a little bit. This friend of mine goes down till 100 feet and that, for my point of view, is Hunting.

I honestly don't understand how you can tell me that its unfair to hunt if you don't break a sweat. Do you think the fish really cares if you had to work hard to kill it? Just so you know the one point of view that is most widely shared between all hunters is that you should take only what you will eat or use. Any ways, odds are that your friend that has been diving for 10 years and down to 100+ feet, probably doesn't break a sweat hunting any more. Maybe to make it more of a hunt for him and more ethical to the fish we should tie an extra 30lbs of weight to each ankle and replace his spear with a salad fork. Now I know he whould have to sweat his *** off to catch a fish then.

deadmoon:
It's way too easy to hunt with the scuba equipment on your back. It's not a matter of eating what you catch, it is when you catch way too critters without even sweating a little bit. This friend of mine goes down till 100 feet and that, for my point of view, is Hunting.

Uhhh..sure.. hunting on scuba is easy. Its like sneaking up on a herd of gazelles while riding on the back of an elephant and blowing on a trumped while the elephant swings a braying donkey around.

Well i am a freediver spearfisher and a SCUBa spearfisher.

Heres my view on this topic.
If you eat what you catch,you only take shots which youre positive you can take the fish(so you dont get a gut shot and mortally wound it and then it gets away)
you dont poach then your fine.

It is much more selective because you choose which fish will be caught.

It is easier to catch fish when free diving because your silent but when scuba diving your maiuing loud noises and emmissions which scare many fish.

so if done responsibly its a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom