Speargun bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice. Have you tried it with mono yet? Looks like the line kind of "piles up" on top the shaft without using any line retainers... any obstruction of sight down the barrel? Have you tried it with more than two bands? Thanks again!
Regards,
Chris

Never used mono except for test purposes. This setup will shoot steel cable, mono or kevlar. Pictures in the Caribbean thread show the line attached to the arrow (not the fin). When the gun shoots, the loop and knot flip over the fin and lay concealed in the first wishbone notch.

After the gun is strung, the line tracks from the hole in the shaft through the muzzle. I have shot stiff lines in that configuration but it seems to me that bulky, stiff lines like 400# mono should be run outside the muzzle, hence the notches in the muzzle. In either case, as it exits from the muzzle it is bent around the line anchor and routed back to the fin, forward to the anchor where a turn is taken, and back, two loops total. The line is tightened by backing down on the reel wind. The line does not "pile up". The bitter end goes along the side of the shaft to the muzzle. From the muzzle, the line tracks along the side of the gun stock back to the fin. The rubber bands lie on top of the line concealing it. I have not used with more than two 5/8 bands.

This design is different from any other partly because the fin is forward of the notches. Back in the 80's, when my California buddies were discussing these ideas they felt that the fin should be placed behind the notches. I proved that this is not necessary for this type of gun and that the forward position is safe and effective. However, I don't know if it would be safe with three bands. I don't see why not but have not tested.
DeeperBlue Forums

I forgot to answer one question, it concerns line of sight down the barrel. There is the usual obstruction caused by the bands. Some divers, especially those who use track guns, have taken to installing stiff, wire wishbones and splaying the bands horizontally. I don't do this but don't use four, 5/8 bands either. Anyway, I don't sight a speargun like one would a rifle. I do look down the shaft but the technique is more like gap shooting; this is the technique used by archers whose bows are not equipped with sights. With spearfishing it is a question of what makes one comfortable and confident. Also, there is the problem of getting smacked in the teeth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom