Spearguns: Sawed-Off Magnum XHD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't care for ANY of the Riffe's!

What I did was took a standard 6mm tip and drilled then tapped it for the larger threads. I use a "lockdown" spinner tri-cut speartip, as its faster and easier to get out of a fish.

I feel your pain about the Riffe tips.I watched in horror as a 'cuda took a piece of grouper with a $90 ice pick tip.I'd like to see anyone reload a Riffe as fast as a JBL or SS/Biller.I can reload over twice as fast as the best of the Riffe owners I've dove with. The commercial guys here occasionally reload 15-20 times in a dive to 80' and are much faster than me.EBAY may be the ticket if you have to have a specific gun that's normally outta your price range.Pawn shops close to docks and bars can get you some good deals 2.JBLs at Leisure Pro are usually the best deals new.Shafts run from $20-30 and tips $10-20.SS makes the best bands I've used .I have 5/8 and 3/4 that are over a year old.Have not had one pop yet.They run ~$20.Look up FredTs posts on trigger mechanisms and what and why he likes each.

is not much slower if you're both lineshafting. Besides, unless you stone every fish with every shot you make (and those who say they do are lying) you're spending more time finishing, stringing or bagging then you are reloading. Does an extra 5 seconds in reloading matter? I don't think it does, especially given the other trade-offs.

Now perhaps if you're shooting stupid fish (e.g. hogs) you might have an easy time of it. Here we don't have any hogfish; we shoot snapper, grouper and AJs, mostly, with a few Ling thrown in for good measure. Most of the guys I spear with don't shoot trigger, as there's not enough meat on them to make it worth it. A few will waste a shot on a good flounder, but most will just stab him with the point instead. The AJs and Ling can be life-threatening if mishandled, quite literally. I'm far more interested in the accuracy and power of my shot than the reload speed; if the AJs are around I would rather have one big fish than 4 snapper, although I'll certainly take both if they are there for the taking :) A lot of shots here have to be taken at longer ranges (10'+) rather than the 4-6' range in which nearly any gun will do the job, simply as the fish around here know what a speargun is and tend to be rather wary of el-spearo closing in on them.

Yeah, I can load the JBL faster. But I've also had the JBL, which is the same size as my C2, fail to penetrate fish that the Riffe goes all the way through. There is a major difference in power between the two guns, even though I've powered UP the JBL one level! It STILL doesn't compare to the Riffe's stopping power.

The Riffe is easy to reload if you do it right. Hold the gun at the muzzle end with your hand wrapped around the muzzle. Make sure the bands are on the right side (top) of the gun. Insert the spear under your hand in the track, with the line going through your wrapped hand around the barrel. Slide down and lock it in the trigger. You now have the line right next to the holddown tab - wrap it around the tab, then do the two wraps on the posts and you're done. Cock the bands and shoot. Wrapping the line doesn't take more than 3 or 4 seconds; its no slower than any other multi-wrap gun and is easier than many, as the last wrap is against the shock cord and you can easily pull it far enough to get over the tab at the rear of the gun. The C3 series are harder to load than the C2, simply because its a longer gun. I can reset the spear in the trigger and wrap the line in under 10 seconds unless I manage to foul myself in the line or something similarly stupid. How much faster than that is material? Band load time is not related to the gun; its related to the number of bands you load, how strong they are, and how strong YOU are.

The "commercial" SS guns have only one line loop, which is obviously faster, as there is no wrap. They also tend to load only one band. And if you're freeshafting, then obviously you beat ANY line gun's reload, as you don't have to screw with the line.

If you're freeshafting, then you definitely want to be thinking about a different gun, as the Riffe simply isn't set up for that. Yeah you can do it (see below) but you won't be as productive as you will with a gun made for that prupose.

In terms of loading the bands, there is a difference - the Riffe is harder! Well, heh, guess what - you get out what you put in with a band gun, no two ways around it. So if you want the power, you have to put the power in. Thus, its harder to cock. I CAN hip-load my C2 but its not any fun. The C3 pretty much has to be chest-loaded, at least for guys like me. Maybe "The Terminator" can hip load that cannon, but I can't - at least not if I want to do it more than once or twice a dive. I usually shoot three bands on the Riffe, but will sometimes depower and shoot only two if I'm in confined quarters. I could probably power up the Riffe a notch and shoot ONE band some of the time, never needing more than two, but my arms and chest would protest at the end of the day from the abuse they'd take in loading, so I don't.

Nothing is worse than hitting a nice AJ dead in the brainpan and having the spear fail to penetrate; too much power is better than too little.

You CAN freeshaft a Riffe, by the way. The trick is loading it and cocking the bands. Once loaded the shaft won't go anywhere. When fired, it won't go nuts either. Try it sometime - I have. If you need you can use a cut-off snorkel keeper as a "hold-down" until you have the gun loaded, or just shoot through it - it won't hang up. The big issue is getting in the water and down with the gun unloaded; that's what the snorkel keeper is for, to keep the front of the spear in the groove until you load the bands.

The problem with freeshafting a Riffe is more in the spear and line; you pretty much can't switch modes with one, since the line goes on the shark fin tab and is crimped. Therefore, unlike some other guns where you have a slider and can unclip from it, that simply isn't happening with the Riffe. That's where the PITA factor comes in. Switch-hitting is thus simply not realistic, which does limit your options, and all-in-all the Riffe is really designed to be a line gun all the time.

As I said I own both a JBL Woody Sawed-Off Magnum and a Riffe C2 (and C3); I prefer shooting the Riffe C2 around reefs and wrecks to the JBL.

I drilled a 1/4" hole at each end of the tube of my old Sawed Off Magnum so the tube would flood and it wouldn't float. I don't know if this will work on newer guns.

Captain

The XHD trigger is a good one. Avoid the other if you intend to do any heavy use.

The nice thing about the JBLs is the ease of "upgrading" them.

A sawed off magnum can turn into a 450 (or 720) magnum with a tube and shaft change. Roughly a 15 minute job if you make your won tube. Swimming pool supply stores carry the same aluminum tube as part of a skimmer net, or you can put a stainless one on if you want it not to float (Kilsby industrial tube supply). The stainless tube will NOT bend or buckle no mater how heavily you band it.

BTW Bandito made a wonderful plastic wingless front end for very few $s that replaces the winged one the smaller JBLs come with and works well with a riding rig.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom