Spec Boot For Mk-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the boot is installed. Couple of things. Even though it measures out the same is seems to fit loose. I'll modify the inner mold to be a shade smaller. Second, there is a conflict with the boot and the DIN wheel. There needs to be a socket for the DIN wheel. I had to shave material to get it to fit. Typical yoke styles should be fine as is. This prototype is also a shade (2mm) long - the inner mold didn't get fully seated when I cast it because of trapped material in the tenon/socket. That all said, I don't see anyway it will fall off. It might leak packing, but not fall off.

Attachments

• IMG_20160510_210719904.jpg
    IMG_20160510_210719904.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 67
I finally got around to rebuilding my packed MK10s. It's been at least 4 yrs; one of them still had the SP colored o-rings in most locations. Anyhow, the tribolube held up extremely well, I didn't notice any sort of water intrusion, and the ambient chambers were perfectly clean. It was fairly messy cleaning off the old grease, but it was so clean I basically wiped it off the piston, spring, and ambient chamber and put in new grease.

So for now, at least, I'm a fan of packing MK10 chambers. I also have a packed MK 5 with the little ambient chamber holes. One of these years I'll rebuild that.....but it takes forever for the MK 5 to start creeping in the first place. I might let that reg go for 10 years.

I read posts about people spending close to $1000 on new atomics or MK25s, and I think, hmmmm, I spent $40 several years ago for a mint condition late model MK 5, rebuilt it once for about $10 in parts (including grease), and I'm still using it.

Up to my ears in projects right now. Clamping a 12" square of plexi onto a 12" rotary table so I can cut out a 12" dia circle gave me pause for thought. Finally on that one. Using it as an excuse to treat myself to some set-up hardware. :)

As for the silicone grease mess, I think that I almost have that solved too. A bit premature, but I'll follow your post. Dow-Corning 200 oil really goes after silicone grease in an ultrasonic bath. "Like dissolves Like" My U/S beast is a Branson 3800, have to keep the reg bodies off the bottom so reflected energy doesn't damage the transducers. Anyway, I put cans of silicone oil, mineral oil, then simple green into the basket. Progress the regs in that direction, they should come out clean. (my test samples did, not making further claims until I try a real reg.)

On another note, wanted to catch the recent half-moon tide. High tide was at my favorite time of day (night). I always put my cleaned and dried drysuit into its rubbermaid container then store it in the outside shed. I must have jammed something against the container, lid was bowed open. Found the beginnings of a mouse nest. Clever bugger, used the materials at hand. Pic is of Evie showing me how to repair a thick neo suit. Almost done, we finish tomorrow. Never ends...

Attachments

• Suit Repair.jpg
    Suit Repair.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 63
Well the boot is installed. Couple of things. Even though it measures out the same is seems to fit loose. I'll modify the inner mold to be a shade smaller. Second, there is a conflict with the boot and the DIN wheel. There needs to be a socket for the DIN wheel. I had to shave material to get it to fit. Typical yoke styles should be fine as is. This prototype is also a shade (2mm) long - the inner mold didn't get fully seated when I cast it because of trapped material in the tenon/socket. That all said, I don't see anyway it will fall off. It might leak packing, but not fall off.

Never did try it underwater. Too good of a day diving to experiment around. The casting had little bubbles in it and that made it easy to tear. Once I get a lid (thanks lowviz) I can vacuum degass the silicone. My first boot is way bigger than the MK10 one. I'll adjust the mold.

One pic from my weekend (glass smooth, sunny, viz 60+ and a nice visit)

Attachments

• P5140423 whale breaching close.jpg
    P5140423 whale breaching close.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 63
I finally got around to rebuilding my packed MK10s. It's been at least 4 yrs; one of them still had the SP colored o-rings in most locations. Anyhow, the tribolube held up extremely well, I didn't notice any sort of water intrusion, and the ambient chambers were perfectly clean. It was fairly messy cleaning off the old grease, but it was so clean I basically wiped it off the piston, spring, and ambient chamber and put in new grease......snip

Halo,

That is very good to hear. I packed a MK10 a few years ago too (when Tribolube entered the diving market) and have yet to notice any performance changes. Do you have a boot on the MK10?

Thanks,

Couv

Tigger,

Much progress here lately. All the fixturing is done and so is the lid. :)

11 5/8" dia and weighs three pounds. See pic. I'll PM a tracking number tomorrow or Monday for sure. I hope that this cover will help make your life far less exciting. But please still use a screen and all your other safety suggestions. I flame polished the edge to reduce crack initiation sites.

Probably get back to liquid injection molding this week.

Edit: Tracking number sent.

Edit2: I just got a question about the "Electronics" engraved on the square in the pic. I see that on so many of my tools that it never occurred to me that it looks suspicious. It isn't. When my old company closed down CNS research they let us clean out our own labs as they wanted the building gone. All the research support shops got to take home whatever they wanted. I even have a brick from that building, grassy field now. Expecting a new building there in the coming years...

Attachments

• Vacuum Lid.jpg
    Vacuum Lid.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom