'Spirit of Freedom' -May 5th to 12th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hubby and I were on the 7 day trip. We had debated this trip for some time , due to the cost, but can safely say that it was worth every penny. We did 24 dives out of a possible 26 over the 7 days.

We were picked up on the Monday morning from our Cairns hotel and taken to the boat. Bags were taken to our cabins by the crew, while we were given a tour of the boat and introduced to the crew. This was followed by a very thorough safety briefing by Nick, our dive director which covered emergency procedures and diving practices.

We set up our gear and had the first of many amazing meals, cooked by the fabulous Kaz. A check dive and a quick night dive before we set sail.
We then had 7 of the most amazing days of diving ( and eating) that we have ever done. The crew work very hard to ensure that you are looked after every step of the way. They put your fins on your feet for you and rinse your mask out before every dive. Dive briefings are thorough and the dive deck is well equipped with rinse tanks and tables for cameras, cubby for storage and wash buckets and hangers for wetsuits. We dived on nitrox and fills averaged around around 30.7 . We took our own gear, but the hire gear was in great condition and I've would have been happy to use it.

There is a minimum of two dive guides in the water on every dive, and they are happy to have you follow them and point out critters, however you are also free to dive the site at your leisure with your buddy , which we really enjoyed. Bottom times are limited only by your personal air consumption.

Every area of the boat is immaculately clean and well maintained. The dining area was my favorite place :) and we ate restaurant quality meals , 4 times a day. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style and dinner is plated, table service with wine or beer. The food was exceptional and varied and other than first breakfast , we never ate the same thing twice. Yum. This area also has a big screen on which that particular days photos are projected during meal times. Vili the boat's photographer, takes some amazing pictures, which you can purchase on a memory card at the end of the trip.

Our cabin was a double on the lower deck and was clean and comfortable and serviced every day. The bigger , more luxurious cabins are on the top deck, but they experienced a lot more roll when we hit bigger seas, so we were glad to be below decks. They big forward lounge had a tv and coffee machine and the bar. There was also another camera/computer area for editing, charging etc. No cameras were ever left on the dive deck overnight. There is a big bookcase full of fish id type books and a large selection of novels and magazines .

The bridge was open house apart from when we were mooring and both Captain Sam and Captain Tony did a brilliant job of getting us smoothly and safely to our daily destinations. The single hull meant a stable ride, even in some quite choppy seas.

The crew of 11 could not have been better. Professional and hard working, but great fun with a wicked sense of humour. We had a blast.

I can't find a single negative thing to say about our trip. I cannot recommend it enough and will definitely be going back

Great report Heg! I have just accepted a job offer in Australia and will start work there in Sept or Oct. I will be commuting back and forth to the states but definitely plan on exploring the great country of Australia and especially the diving. I have been thinking a LOB trip on either Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom should be high on my list. What time of year would you suggest I start planning for?

We just got back from our second trip With 'Spirit of Freedom'. Yes -It was soooo good we went again . October /November /december will all be great months. The 7 day trip is amazing if you can afford it. Avoid Jan/feb/march as it is cyclone season. April /May for mantas and June to July for Minkes. The boat is awesome, as are the crew. We are looking at booking trip number 3:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom