Spirit of Freedom Photo & Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are booked on the SOF on Dec 6, really looking forward to it. This will be our first dive trip outside our back yard (Fort Lauderdale and the Florida Keys), so we are excited.

I am still not decided on whether to bring our own gear or rent. Concerned about the weight limit of the luggage, what is everybody's opinion on that?

We are booked on the SOF on Dec 6, really looking forward to it. This will be our first dive trip outside our back yard (Fort Lauderdale and the Florida Keys), so we are excited.

I am still not decided on whether to bring our own gear or rent. Concerned about the weight limit of the luggage, what is everybody's opinion on that?

If you are doing a 3 day cruise, there are some severe weight restrictions for the flight out to or from Lizard Island. You will need to rent.

If you are doing the full 7-day cruise, then you don't have any weight restrictions for the cruise itself. It all depends how much weight you want to lug halfway around the world.

We are doing the 3 day. I think the weight restriction is 45 lbs per person. Since it should be warm, I am planning to go light on the clothing, I would think a wetsuit is not needed?

SpeckledGrouper We're booked on the Dec 6th trip too. Look forward to meeting you. We're going for 7 days so not as concerned about the weight limit here. Everything I've read looked like people were wearing 3mm wetsuits for that time of year. I think that may just be to keep a little warmth up after all the consecutive dives. I know they rent wetsuits so it might save on weight to just rent one if you decide it's a little cool for you. I'm not sure if you saw it in the FAQ but, SOF will store your excess luggage in their office while you are on the boat so the 45lbs is just for what you need on the boat. If you decide to go with only 1 tshirt I'll be sure to only take your picture on the 1st day so no one will notice.

I would definitely take or rent a 3mm wetsuit. I did trip in that area in Jan. 06 and was glad to have a 3mm. I think everyone wore full wetsuits rather than shorties. There is lot of little things in the water so you probably want to protect your skin.

Scubajoe, looking forward to meeting you too! We'll probably rent a wetsuit then if needed. We dove in the Keys last weekend and the water was 82 degrees, shorts and a rashguard was fine for that. I wonder what the water temperature at the GBR will be in December?

What about BCD, regulator, fins etc? Are you bringing your own?

speckeldgrouper.. sent you a pm on what we're bringing... we're taking our gear but keeping to one piece of checked luggage each that the airlines can overcharge and then lose for me....:D

MA:
I've just been and it was 27/28 degrees celcius. So by december probably 29-30 degrees. lovely!

Was that air or water temp? Or both? That sounds perfect.
I have been looking all over for thin long pants, just like dive shorts but in long. It seems as if that doesn't exist in this country...:( I have found them on Aussie websites, so I think I will try to find them in Cairns, before we go on the Trip.

Back
Top Bottom