split vs non

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone. this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm just to lazy to search:11doh: I am getting ready to purchase a new pair of fins. I have had the same ones since 1994...I have heard some people I have asked swear on split fins and others say they "suck". I am leaning toward a pair of Thrusters as opposed to split. I know there are those of you who like split and those who don't. I'm just trying to get some input on different arguements for and against...Thanks

Up until this year I had been diving the same pair of non-split fins and was fine with them, my thing was hey I move my legs and these things on my feet push me through the water, works just fine (trying not to buy in to all that new fangled gear hype). I tried my buddy's split fins during a dive and went and bought a pair the next day. Try a pair, any respectable dive shop should have a pair you can try out and they may make a believer out of you.

I do technical diving (trimix) and usually dive with steel doubles (and if needed 40 cuft Al stages). I tried some Scubapro split fins and was impressed. They are what I usually use with most of my diving. They are different from Jets and there is a learning curve. Try them and see if you like them. Again, they are somewhat different than Jets so give them a fair eval and see what you think.

Robert:D

Hope this thread doesn't start a firestorm. Lots of heated opinion.

I have both splits (Atomic) and Jets. I like them both and they each have their good points and bad.

For regular reef diving and calm water the splits work great when doing a simple flutter kick. Just have to be careful not to kick silt up. Easy to do if you're not careful. I change my foot angle and the way I kick when it becomes a concern. However, the splits seem very efficient.

The Jets are nice in heavy current. Do not kick up silt as easy and many tech divers swear by them for frog kicks, helicopter turns, and backwards finning.

I'd take the suggestion above and see if you can borrow some to try for a while B 4 you buy them. If you lived closer to me, I'd let you try mine.

Oh, and on a side note... do you use spring straps? I wish I had them when I started diving years ago!

It's a pity you are 'too lazy to search'....there have been a lot of very good answers on this topic and I expect that most people will be 'too lazy' to type out again answers that they've already made (often several times).

rawls:
Hi everyone. this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm just to lazy to search:11doh: I am getting ready to purchase a new pair of fins. I have had the same ones since 1994...I have heard some people I have asked swear on split fins and others say they "suck". I am leaning toward a pair of Thrusters as opposed to split. I know there are those of you who like split and those who don't. I'm just trying to get some input on different arguements for and against...Thanks

Hello rawls,

When I started diving I rented and got whatever fin the dive resort had. After a short while I decided I wanted my own fins. I got some Tusa Imprex fins and thought they were fine. I often got cramps and was not pleased with my boots. When I replaced the boots the new boots simply did not fit the foot pocket on the Tusa's, so I had to get new fins.

I decided to give some ScubaPro Twin Jet split fins a try. On the first dive after swimming for a while I reached the conclusion... Oh well, I am too lazy to finish my explanation.

Later I got into technical diving and was told that the fins I had would not be the best choice for diving doubles, so I picked some ScubaPro Jet fins. I found that the solid design of the Jets was... Oh well, I am too lazy to finish my explanation.

When I got a dry suit I got some... Oh well, I am too lazy to finish my explanation. Frankly it is too bad I am so lazy, because if I had more drive to finish my posts it would be really useful since I have had a fair amount of experience using both split and traditional fins is a variety of situations.

Mark Vlahos

I use both - Scubapro Jet Fins and Apollo Bio-fin Pros. They are designed for different styles of swimming and I think, ultimately, that you will find a Jet Fins-style paddle fin much more useful in any diving conditions. The Bio-fins (the original and best split fins) are great for effortless speed and surface swimming, but that's about it - I use mine for snorkeling, mostly.

Personally, I do not enjoy kicking around with splits. But then this is simply due to the fact that I have been using hard negative fins (such as Jets and Rocket) for a long while.

I would say definitely look into the Jets.

i used to dive with twin-jets (which I "loved") then tried the jetfins and will never dive splits again (at least not while in Hawaii). Less energy used kicking with the jets which equals more air left in the tank for a longer dive. Splits are great fins as long as you aren't in any type of current. My splits are also longer fins and I have better control of my speed with the straight jetfins. Of course I am a lazy diver and bought springs straps. Now if I could just get someone to carry my gear to the water for me (on shore dives). HHHmmmmmm???

Melissa

I've heard so many people talk about splits and currents, that I wrote a whole little thing on it: http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

We go to Cozumel all the time, and it's all current drift diving, and I have no problem with or against the current... much easier than any other fin I've tried. Give me some Apollo bio fins, or the Tusa splits if I need prettier colors.

Back
Top Bottom