Split vs. Regular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THE_AXEL:
Splits make you go faster, less stress on leg, less kicking. Poeple say that they're no good in currants, turning, frog kicking. That's all not true, they are very good in the above mentioned. My Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins(black) :dazzler1: :dazzler1: are assome. Jets are not good(my opinion). And turtles, well stay away from the turtles.

Jets and Turtles are not good???? Run for your life!!!! You gotta be kiddng (or Trolling) When used properly they simply can't be beat.

Walter:
Going barefoot would be less aggravating still..........

There are people on here that will say there is the only ONE true fin, all others are garbage and no matter what diving you do you MUST wear the one true fin otherwise you will die. (the one true fin being the SP Jet).

These people don't consider that there are divers with different abilities, requirements and levels of skill. In their world one size fits all and if you don't wear the one true fin, then you are just someone who hasn't yet seen the light.

To the Original Poster.. I would say definately try the split fins. It will be easier on your knee and you may even fin faster in them. If you read too much SB and chose to "take the DIR-F course, you will LOVE it!!!111" at a later stage, then you may have to change fins..

scuba_frog:
I have been using Mares Avanti Quattro fins for a while and I find that by the end of a second dive, my legs are done for the day and my left knee swells quite a bit. I had arthroscopic knee surgery on that knee 4 yrs ago.

My LDS (which is going out of business) is telling me that split fins would be less aggravating to my knee and they recommend splits for people with bad knees.

Is this a true statement? Would I be better off with split fins, especially now that they are having a fire sale? Thanks for your input.
Try using a frog kick all the time, emphasizing calf and ankle movement - regardless of fin type. I have found it is much easier on legs and more efficient - (right, Brian?)

TX I could not agree with you more and your signature is so true. I understand that my original question is very subjective but that's ok. I am looking for opinion. Really not looking for a blood bath between different fin lovers. I have seen 5 different sets split fins mentioned. What some people others hate. But what's interesting is that no one has said WHY a particular fin is better or worse than another except for Opiniongirl's comment about the V12's buckles. THAT was helpful. Who makes them, btw.

Thanks to all...time to scan e-bay.

Yes, split fins will be easier on your knees - no question. They are great for flutter and OK for modified flutter (the two kicks recreational divers use most). For people to bring frog kicks into the equation is ridiculous; few rec divers use them, and fewer do them correctly. They're for cave divers, wreck penetration divers, and wannabes. Stay away from Turtle Fins - which is one of two fins I use - and Jet Fins for the simple reason they are stiffer than most, which provides great turning ability, but also adds to leg fatigue. If you have bumb knees, you'll probably appreciate split fins the most.

CRDiver:
For people to bring frog kicks into the equation is ridiculous; few rec divers use them, and fewer do them correctly. They're for cave divers, wreck penetration divers, and wannabes.

I guess since I'm not a penetration diver and I prefer to use the frog kick (done correctly), I must be a wannabe.

I wannabe a diver who doesn't stir up the bottom.
I wannabe a diver who can adjust to changing conditions and avoid fatigue by selecting appropriate kicks.
I wannabe a diver who doesn't have to doggie paddle underwater to turn around.
I wannabe a diver who has a longer bottom time because I'm streamlined and more efficient.

Just because I'm a rec diver doesn't mean it's inappropriate for me to be skillful, even if you find it ridiculous.

I have two bad knees. So, here's my input. I use both a split fin and a non-split. My comments are about the splits.

Myth - They are only for the flutter kick.
Fact - False myth

Myth - Can't do an effective frog kick.
Fact - I do a very effect frog kick regularly.

Myth - Can't do a helicopter turn.
Fact - That's about the only way I turn around since I swim horizontal.

Myth - Can't do a reverse/back up kick.
Fact - I haven't mastered this kick yet, but I know those that have and they say they have no problem with it using the splits.

Myth - Splits stir up silt.
Fact - This one is true. Even using a frog kick, the vortex coming off the fin seems to like to head down and stir up silt.

Myth - Splits are easier on the knees and don't wear you out.
Fact - This one is true. I love my splits. My knees don't hurt and I nowhere near as tired after a long dive with them.

Myth - Splits can't be used in a current.
Fact - Been there, done that. They are very effective in a current because they give you more propulsion for the effort exerted.

You should try them out and see what you think. My vote is for the splits. One last thing, I'm a rec diver and use whichever kick is appropriate for the situation at the time.

"I guess since I'm not a penetration diver and I prefer to use the frog kick (done correctly), I must be a wannabe."

Maybe you're just one of the few non-tech guys who can do it correctly.

"I wannabe a diver who doesn't stir up the bottom."

Ok, that's good, but using a frog kick isn't the only way to avoid stirring up silt.

"I wannabe a diver who can adjust to changing conditions and avoid fatigue by selecting appropriate kicks."

That's good. Then you must realize the frog kick is best for confined and/or silty environments, and not your typical recreational open water environment.

"I wannabe a diver who doesn't have to doggie paddle underwater to turn around."

Which has nothing to do with which type of fin or kick you use.

"I wannabe a diver who has a longer bottom time because I'm streamlined and more efficient."

Good for you!

"Just because I'm a rec diver doesn't mean it's inappropriate for me to be skillful, even if you find it ridiculous."

I just think its ridiculous in most rec circumstances, because it is *not* the most efficient kick in most rec environments. No one said being skillful is less valuable for rec divers. It's just ridiculous to base a fin purchase on it's potential to be used with a type of kick that is rarely used by most rec divers in most rec situations.

CRDiver:
Stay away from Turtle Fins - which is one of two fins I use - and Jet Fins for the simple reason they are stiffer than most, which provides great turning ability, but also adds to leg fatigue. If you have bumb knees, you'll probably appreciate split fins the most.

I started diving with split fins...did probably 50 dives with them...thought they were the catsass. Then, I got a pair of real fins and realized how terrible the splits are. Yes, you can do a frog kick in splits...it just sucks.

If you ever watch video of those split fins, it's ridiculous. The blades move in like 8 different directions all at once when doing anything but a straight-legged flutter kick. ...and backing up makes it even worse. Why make it harder on yourself?

I dive turtles and jets and have a bad knee. According to your criteria, I must be a wannabee. Hmmm...I seem to be able to swim a couple inches off the bottom without kicking crap up just fine. Seems like a skill that all divers should have, not just techies. I've *never* seen *anyone* that wears split fins be able to do the same.

As for efficiency, if you stop and think about hydrodynamics, a frog kick is far more efficient in most environments, except when swimming directly into a current. With the flutter kick, the end of the kick cycle ends up with your fins out of the slip stream, so you are arresting yourself while mid-kick. With a frog kick, it's all kick and glide, kick and glide. The fins never leave the slipstream. Frog kicking also doesn't involve the large leg muscles as much, which leads to better air consumption and less fatigue.

"I dive turtles and jets and have a bad knee. According to your criteria, I must be a wannabee."

I don't think you're a wannabe for using Jets or Turtles... But you obviously need to work on your reading skills, since I never said anyone who uses any particular type of fin is a wannabe. In the context of this thread, by wannabe I mean someone who primarily uses a frog kick in a recreational clear open water environment. It's unnecessary and inefficient for that type of environment.

Back
Top Bottom