Sports Chalet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did use it a few times when I was in N. Florida. It was quite warm and comfy. :D

rakkis:
This would work if most divers stuck with the activity and bought gear. Most stop at the snorkeling gear necessary for the class and buy it where they take their class. Why wouldn't they when SC sells it for 40% less than their LDS? Of the ones that buy full gear, a large number have price as one of their important determinants. So, don't hold your breath.

Well... our numbers have climbed steadily since SC moved in just up the way. Maybe the numbers have nothing to do with SC at all but it doesn't seem to have hurt us...

We get their customers all the time. Alot of those are folks that walked thru SC and window shopped... then came to us to start. Others spend some time and money there but move on to our store.

Stephen Ash:
Well... our numbers have climbed steadily since SC moved in just up the way. Maybe the numbers have nothing to do with SC at all but it doesn't seem to have hurt us...

We get their customers all the time. Alot of those are folks that walked thru SC and window shopped... then came to us to start. Others spend some time and money there but move on to our store.

Stephen, I agree with you and am surprised that more retailers don't see it the way you do. While Sport Chalet can be competitive in price and services many people will see it as a warehouse and not an LDS and won't buy from there.

I instruct for Sport Chalet. We have a new Operations Manager for SCUBA who has made a ton of changes in the short time he has been with the company. A lot of the changes are going a long way towards improving instruction and customer service (there are those people that will always do just the minimum and these changes effect them the most).

I worked in the store for a while as well, for fun as I have a well paying job. In the store I worked at, the dive department was seen as almost a seperate island in the store. Like anywhere you can have good and knowledgable employees and then those that are not...

There were many times that I referred business to other shops in the area. One shop can not carry everything, no matter how big. Someone looking for Halcyon, DSS, Atomic, or something we didn't carry got a referral to another dive store.

Diving is a community and we all need to work together to provide the best for the consumer.

It's funny, I'm the diver in the family but I've walked into dive shops where the staff goes to my husband and starts talking to him while ignoring me. That's what is great about competition, I can find someone that can appreciate my business.

Ann Marie:
We have a new Operations Manager for SCUBA who has made a ton of changes in the short time he has been with the company.

No more guido? :eek:

Stephen Ash:

Don't get me wrong. I don't think SC is the devil. There are many good things that SC offers:

- Higher volume than the typical LDS as far as sizes in stock
- Faster turn around for items carried, but not in the store
- Ability to immediately check items availability at nearby stores
- Cheaper prices for the consumer for many items

However, those things also make it good competition to an LDS and would thus take away from some of its business. You can argue that the extra exposure of the sport will eventually trickle down and benefit the LDS in the area.... I'm just saying you won't see many LDS owners giving the SC manager a fruit basket when the local SC opens a SCUBA department.

sjspeck:
Any with pools here? I've only been to the Happy Valley/I-17 store and they don't.

Three guesses where it's going in:
In the former Ultimate Electronics store across Peoria(doubt it, kind of small for them)
In the former Home store just north of Cheryl
In the former Best Buy store(doubtful unless they plan to share a parking lot with Sports Authority)
can't think of anywhere else...

202 and gilbert road store has a pool and a really good set of instuctors. and No i am not affiliated in any way. Just injoy the fact they dont give me any crap about were I buy from and dont really push their equipment, :no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom