Spring Cold Water Low Visibility Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No, I am not talking Lake Lanier...but if I try to pull together a trip to an interesting dive site (might require an Airtran flight to get there and a two night stay) anyone interested?

It is a fresh water lake, the ice will have just cleared in April-May so the water will have max-clarity.

The hook is....there are supposedly Ruins at the bottom of the lake from a civilization that was doing Mining in Wisconsin 5000 years ago....

Rock Lake, Wisconsin, near Mill Lakes, Wi.

Anyone interested? Definately dry-suit or at least 5 mil charged wetsuits (charging is adding warm water to the suit before the dive, urine doesn't count! :D )

Attached is a picture of the Lake...see the delta shape in the northern section...it is supposedly man-made with a temple structure and some burial mounds on top...

Mike

Low vis is a relative term. What's it mean to you?

Foundthis.

Sounds like it would be an interesting dive.

The vis can vary from 10-20 feet depending on time of year. In summer it drops to 5-10 feet. Depth is about 60 feet max...about 20-30 to the top of the mound.

Well compared to the Carribean with 100 foot +...

Let's see what we can do to organize a trip. I'm in.

I am contacting the research group doing the work to see if we can coordinate with them to do some "real" work while we are there...they have several other lake sites that need a look over...

Just some info:

Round trip airfare using Airtran would be about $190.00. Hotels 63/night we can split rooms so each would pay 32. Renting an SUV would be about 50/day.

So...190+64+30+10 (airfare, hotel 2 nights, car rental share 3 days, misc taxes) we'll round it to $300.00 plus food will probably be the cost...Of course if someone has a large SUV or whatever and wanted to drive up with the equipment and meet us there...270...plus whatever we chip in for their gas and expenses...it would be a full day (12-18 hour drive).

If anyone has better (i.e. cheaper) ideas...let me know!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom