Spring Fin Straps for Mares Quattro Avanti Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why would I want to consider these springs over a Mares OEM strap? I always enjoyed the release buckle that extends the strap but does not release it. Always worked well for me getting back on the boat, etc....
Springs don't break and you don't need to fiddle with the release buckle to get them on or off.

Springs don't break and you don't need to fiddle with the release buckle to get them on or off.
This is exactly why they don't use the release buckle anymore. They're all using a heavy rubber bungee type strap with a decent sized loop on the back to pull it on/off. I had my buckles break on me so I replaced with their new version and they're fantastic.

Do these fit alright ? I have seen a review on scuba.com that they are tooo looose on the mares quattro…
Just need to get the right sized spring for a snug/ comfortable fit. I believe they come in S/M/L. Size is based on boot size and type, whether hard or soft style boot.

This is exactly why they don't use the release buckle anymore. They're all using a heavy rubber bungee type strap with a decent sized loop on the back to pull it on/off. I had my buckles break on me so I replaced with their new version and they're fantastic.
I had one of my bungee straps on my relatively new (1.5 years old) Avanti Quarto + fins snap on the first dive on a LOB trip in 2022 and saw 2 other divers have their's break on recent trips as well - I now carry a few extras as they seem somewhat prone to failing!

I had one of my bungee straps on my relatively new (1.5 years old) Avanti Quarto + fins snap on the first dive on a LOB trip in 2022 and saw 2 other divers have their's break on recent trips as well - I now carry a few extras as they seem somewhat prone to failing!
Odd, I've had mine I put on my circa 2000 quattros for about 2 years and 80 dives or so. My other set I bought used for wet diving and seen to be holding up fine. I keep an extra fin strap in my SAD regardless though.

The nice thing about carrying the stock Mares bungee strap in the pocket of my BC is that I have a spare with me at all times that can be instantly installed with no tools......even while at depth.

A bungee strap should never break in a single event. As it loses strands it will become weaker until it fails altogether but you should know it's happening well before that. A spring strap can fail, I suppose, but I have never seen one do that or even heard about it.

A bungee strap should never break in a single event. As it loses strands it will become weaker until it fails altogether but you should know it's happening well before that. A spring strap can fail, I suppose, but I have never seen one do that or even heard about it.
The Mares strap is a single rubber-like bungee (solid but with a small hollow core). All of the breaks were when putting the fins on and pulling the bungee out to get behind the boot heel. I pull mine smoothly and it’s not super tight - but it still just cleanly snapped in half and there was not other obvious stress marks. The other breaks I witnessed were the same.

Perhaps they had a bad batch of straps - but I (and the others) were surprised. I don’t fully trust them now so I carry a few extra straps… just in case.

I see. So maybe they call it a bungee but it's really one hollow strand. Possibly silicon tubing, possibly some other sort. OK....

I'm not into sudden fin strap failures, so I'd go with real multi-stranded bungee cord or an SS spring. Bungee is more reliable in theory, but sort of like turbofan jet engines, the SS springs are *so* reliable that failures are incredibly rare. I have no worries. Plus, they last about three days past forever and you have to replace bungee from time to time as it ages and strands start to break.

I had a collection of Mares fin straps (the non-what-they-call-bungee variety) with the buckles that solve a problem that should not exist to start with. I carry them in my spares box and give them away when I'm on a boat and someone's fails. I think I'm down to two or three now. They're old enough now that I should toss them when I think about it.f

The Mares strap is a single rubber-like bungee (solid but with a small hollow core). All of the breaks were when putting the fins on and pulling the bungee out to get behind the boot heel. I pull mine smoothly and it’s not super tight - but it still just cleanly snapped in half and there was not other obvious stress marks. The other breaks I witnessed were the same.

Perhaps they had a bad batch of straps - but I (and the others) were surprised. I don’t fully trust them now so I carry a few extra straps… just in case

Anyone know if the spring straps are much heavier than the stock bungees, and if so about how much? Seems I'm always pushing the weight limit on my checked scuba suitcase, especially when things are still a bit damp coming home, so every bit counts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom