Spring Straps for OMS Slipstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeNomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Disclaimer: I started this thread on SB2 and I did a quick search, but I'm not finding quite what I'm looking for on SB.

To recap, I have decided to invest in a pair of OMS Slipstreams (XXL) and would like some spring straps for it. My LDS told me they did not reccomend the OMS spring straps for two reasons. Firstly, the large rubber bit was not very flexible making wearing the straps uncomfortable. Secondly that there was no cover over the springs so fishing line and other junk would get caught in there quite often.

They do carry the Halycon spring straps which are definately overpriced and admittely a pain in the rear to attach to the slipstreams.

I have been looking at alternatives such as the XS Scuba Universal Spring Straps which were suggested to me on SB2. I am not looking at a pair of DIY straps right now because I am simply to busy for that.

Right now I am basically deciding between the OMS straps and the XS straps unless anyone has another suggestion. They are both basically the same price, except the XS straps will need to be shipped. I would like to know if anyone has found the OMS straps uncomfortable and if junk actually does tend to be caught in the straps. I would also like to hear from anyone who has a set of XS straps on their OMS - are they easy to put on to the slipstreams? It says they are easy to attach to Jets, so I am assuming this should be a yes.

I am also wondering about which size of strap should be used for my slipstreams. I am wearing a size 10 ScubaPro Everflex (7mm) boot with some XXL slipstreams. The XS straps come in 8", 10" and 12".

I have been using turtle Fins with OMS spring straps for about 6 months now and here is what I have seen:

1. The Large rubber bit makes the straps easy to use with gloves and once they have been in the water a couple of times they soften up abit and I dont even know they there.

2. OMS Spring straps come in diffrent sizes, get the right size and the amount of coil expansion is kept to a min. thus eleminating any junk from getting caught in them.

When I was looking for spring straps I was thinking about the Halycon straps but the price is a little high, seen the OMS ones tired them now I love them.

I completely agree with ghostrunner. I currently have the oms slipstreams with spring straps and I have never once had a problem or felt uncomfortable.

Just got the OMS spring straps, only used them once, with gloves, and I also agree with what ghost runner said. I think a big thing is to get the right size.

I use the XS straps and have had no issues when using heavy gloves (6.5mm). They are also very comfy. When you buy any straps measure around your heel from pin to pin, that will help you get the perfect length.

I am using these on my Slipstreams (Northeast Scuba Supply installed them prior to sending them out to me).

springstrap_jetlg.jpg

This is a link to the website: http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp

I use the innovative straps Kidsdream linked on my Jets. (Same thing, different rubber) Work great, and cheaper than anything else out there.

I realy like the scubapro springs with the cord inside and the protective covering on them. It makes my OMS fins easy to put on and to take off.

anyone know what the lengths are on the OMS spring straps? The site just lists the sizes, not lengths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom