Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They sell it by the foot at Home Depot. Same with the heat shrink wrap and stainless steel screws.

RJ

sumguy once bubbled...
Is there a part number for the vinyl tubing? I know I saw it somewhere, but...

3/4" OD x 5/8" ID is the size needed, as stated available at Home Depot, or LHS (local hardward store).

One hint, cut it longer than spring, the spring I used was 10 1/2" long, I should have cut tubing 11" long, as the spring is installed and curves around the fin it becomes longer. I discovered this the hard way of course.

Mike

Order came today. I put my spring straps together, talk about easy. I found some leftover black 5/8" drip system line and skipped the shrink wrap. The 3/4" SS machine screws were just the right size.

So...

3932K54 - Long Type 302 SS 2x $4.42 EA $8.84
Extension Spring 11" Length,
1/2" OD, .062" Wire Diameter

35355T13 - Type 316 SS Cast 4x $3.00 EA $12.00
Anchor Shackle With Screw Pin,
3/16" Material Dia, 530 Lbs Wll

3/4" SS Machine screws 2x $0.79 EA $1.58
Bags w/ 3 screws @ Home Depot

Poly Line $1.79

Shipping $4.00
Tax (CA Resident) $1.98

Total Cost $30.17

Tools required, pliers to pinch the shackels a bit tighter, standard screwdriver to tighten screws.

Total time -- under an hour

I put my boots on, tried on the fins -- feel great, can't wait to try them out.

RJ

Ok, so I got my springs, shackles, screws, and tubing from McMaster-Carr today. Now, I'm waiting on my braided nylon line from Reef Scuba.
But, I've got a couple questions. What do I tie the line to? The screws? And how much slack should there be? I know its purpose is to prevent the springs from stretching too far, but how far is too far?
These are probably dumb questions, so I'll go ahead and add another: Is the spring held on only by the single loops on each end, the ones that are perpindicular to the spring?

You'll likely have to resize the spring and make a new perpendicular loop yourself. And yes, thats typically the only thing that is holding it on. (the steel in these springs is very strong, so you have no worries there).

I also wouldnt bother waiting on the line to get this going. In fact, i took my line out - its actually quite unnecessary. I had an extra spring around and stretched it to a permanent deformation. It took so much force to do that that you'd be ripping your fins appart well before you ever go to that stage. I've done an entire season with them like that and there hasn't been an issue except for fins that are much easier to put on then with the string restriction.

steve

wetman once bubbled...
You'll likely have to resize the spring and make a new perpendicular loop yourself. And yes, thats typically the only thing that is holding it on. (the steel in these springs is very strong, so you have no worries there).

I also wouldnt bother waiting on the line to get this going. In fact, i took my line out - its actually quite unnecessary. I had an extra spring around and stretched it to a permanent deformation. It took so much force to do that that you'd be ripping your fins appart well before you ever go to that stage. I've done an entire season with them like that and there hasn't been an issue except for fins that are much easier to put on then with the string restriction.

steve

Considering doing that myself. The string can be a pain if not perfectly sized within the spring. I can't imagine over stretching those SS springs but I am glad to know that someone else has done the testing. Thanks

I just made my own jet fin spring straps this week! Thanks to everyone who posted how-to advice on scubaboard about this subject.

I used mcmaster-carr part number 9665K69. it's a 20" long 302 stainless spring, .054" wire diameter, without any hooks on the ends. $8.75 each + shipping. I bought 2 of them in case I needed them both, but I only used one. I'm not sure if I should keep the other one as a spare or eBay it or what. I got the 1/2x3/4 clear tubing at Lowe's.

Unfortunately it's too cold to go diving & try them out.

sumguy once bubbled...
Ok, so I got my springs, shackles, screws, and tubing from McMaster-Carr today. Now, I'm waiting on my braided nylon line from Reef Scuba.
But, I've got a couple questions. What do I tie the line to? The screws? And how much slack should there be? I know its purpose is to prevent the springs from stretching too far, but how far is too far?
These are probably dumb questions, so I'll go ahead and add another: Is the spring held on only by the single loops on each end, the ones that are perpindicular to the spring?

I got my spring straps from "Boogie711" on eBay, and the caving line is simply a single loop that goes around both of the shackle screws. The length is approximately 150% of the relaxed spring length. That said, I also find the caving line completely unnecessary and a little bit of a problem to keep inside the spring. The spring tension is such that I can't imagine overstretching the spring enough for the string to come into play, so I'm going to remove mine.

BTW, I recommend the spring straps I bought if you don't want to make your own. They work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom