Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my spring straps from "Boogie711" on eBay

Now, I wonder who that would be?

For those who are wondering - it's nothing special. I get most (but not all) of my parts from those McMasters of hardware in quantity, and basically just charge enough to cover my costs and time. It's a hobby more than anything.

If anyone's curious, I just got a big new shipment of parts in (bulk order = slightly lower costs). I can offer them slightly cheaper through my oh-so-hi-tech website, just because I don't have listing fee's from E-Bay.

I am trying to find a pair of spring straps for my Scubapro Twin Jets. Any ideas?

Thanks

AquaGuy

How do you guys get your shackles so tight? Mine are as tight as they'll go without stripping the screws, and I'm pretty sure I could still pop them off the plastic posts of my Quattros.
Speaking of which, do all Quattros have a plastic tab or protrusion on the posts, between the fins themselves and the wide "cap" of the post? I'm not sure I'm doing a good job of describing this. I think the tab is there to prevent the ABS buckles from swiveling too far to the front. The tabs are preventing the shackles from tightening, I think. Do you file them down? (Or Dremel, since it seems everyone on this board has one but me.)
Otherwise, the springs are great. I tried them on in the living room with my cold water boots and two pairs of warm water boots, and they felt great with all. I'm just worried about the shackles.

You're correct - the only reason that protrusion is there is to prevent the buckles from sliding around. Get rid of it. And you're correct - a Dremel is perfect, but a file works too.

That will really help. Then take a pair of pliers and gently pinch them closed even further once they're on the hub.

Nothing shy of a monster truck is going to pull those suckers off now.

sumguy bubbled :How do you guys get your shackles so tight? ..

Boogie is correct, file the rib down with a 3/16 inch round or rat tail file. Don't leave any sharp corners, these are stress crack locations.

1) Pinch them closed with a pair of vise grips.
2) If you want to go a a step farther,
run a thread die down the shank to increase the thread engagement, then pinch he end of the thread in a vise to damage it and prevent the shank from falling out, if it should come loose.
(this is likely over kill, a little nail polish will do the same)

Mike D

to squeeze the schackle down tight. Then I replace the pin (now too long) with a 10-32 x 3/4" stainless screw.

Go back and look at the first few posts in this thread. :)

Have fun.

The spring straps are FAR better than the original straps on the Quatros.

I have the 3/4" 10-32 screws, but now that I've squeezed the shackles tighter, the screws won't thread.
(You should be figuring out by now that I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person in the world)
I think I'm going to run some stainless steel wire through the screw holes in the shackles to secure the springs, unless anybody has any other thoughts?
Thanks for all the help so far.

While you squeezed them?
By having the pin in it keeps the alignment.

You will probably have to (or get a mechanical type to) spread the shackles back out, put in the pin, resqueeze and replace the pin with the screw.

Some people can look at how the screw comes into the shackle and bend one or both ends just enough to allow them to thread together.

I finally got to try my new spring straps yesterday. I went diving at Pt Lobos and got to try the new straps out. Wow, what a difference over the latches on my quatros. I walked down the ramp carrying my fins by the straps, sat down off the end of the ramp slid my foot into the pocket and pulled the straps into place. 2 seconds each and they were on!!! It took a minute to get used to the way it felt on my heel (a bit tight), but it quickly felt very natural. After the dive, getting the fins off was almost as easy as putting them on.

Thanks to everyone on Scubaboard that posted how-to's, suppliers and part numbers.

RJ

I second that. I made 3 sets of spring straps on the weekend.... They were so easy and looked so good, I impressed myself!

Thanks guys....

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom