Squaring The Circle On Bali Or Thereabouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

Trying to make everyone happy (experienced divers, snorkelers, NDP (non-diving partner), ages from 8 to 63), having often been to Bali and wishing to return for about 2 weeks in April 2017, I was wondering whether you could advise me on the following:

- Where can you best see the big stuff (Mantas sharks): are the Gilis a good bet and can you access all the sites by land from Gili Air? Any diving outfits/ comfortable lodgings you would recommend?

- Is it worth making the effort to go for a 4 day live aboard around Komodo, possibly splitting up the group to include only the fanatic divers? Which part of Komodo do you recommend and are there diving shops that do not cost an arm and a leg (we used Wicked Diving last time and were disappointed with the boat (fake sailing, stifling cabins, mediocre food))?

Thanks for any help!
Best,

Rene

Greetings from Indonesia,

No need to split the group in Komodo. Komodo offers fantastic diving, snorkeling and land excursions (dragon walk, beach parties, trekking) You may even be able to find a boat with kayaks or paddle boards.

We'd love to take you, but we only do 10 night itineraries. However, I have heard good things about Ananda private charters, a friend just booked them for short charter. They seem to offer a wide range of activities. I have not seen the interior, only the exterior from our deck, so I can't truly recommend them but I can highly recommend Komodo!

Wherever you holiday takes you enjoy Indonesia!

For 14 days you may want to split your self between 3 places.

Gili's may be a good compromise, not the best diving.... but ok, and a decent place to chill out.
Try stay away from the more "party" focused areas. Gili Nemo is the quietest of the the 3. Have a look at Divine Divers.

There are a few smaller LOB's in Komodo where you could charter the whole boat. That way you could have a bit more control. Check out http://www.aridive.com they have three boats. The Lalunia looks like a comfortable boat.

Komodo Dive Resort looks amazing. But most of the time they do a full double tank morning trip so divers will be gone the whole morning.

Amed on Bali could be an option. Decent diving and snorkeling and other things to do for NDP.

Ubud and the surrounds for a few days may be a nice way to finish things off.

Good luck squaring that circle!

Last edited:
Dear AlMitch,

Thanks for you reply.

Komodo looks tempting but a bit pricey for us, alas...

A tad concerned that you should consider Gili diving just "OK". We are hoping to see some big stuff there. Is that an illusion?

Is that area very busy in April?

Thanks for any help!

Best,

Rene

QUOTE="AlMitch, post: 7684458, member: 161249"]For 14 days you may want to split your self between 3 places.

Gili's may be a good compromise, not the best diving.... but ok, and a decent place to chill out.
Try stay away from the more "party" focused areas. Gili Nemo is the quietest of the the 3. Have a look at Divine Divers.

There are a few smaller LOB's in Komodo where you could charter the whole boat. That way you could have a bit more control. Check out http://www.aridive.com they have three boats. The Lalunia looks like a comfortable boat.

Komodo Dive Resort looks amazing. But most of the time they do a full double tank morning trip so divers will be gone the whole morning.

Amed on Bali could be an option. Decent diving and snorkeling and other things to do for NDP.

Ubud and the surrounds for a few days may be a nice way to finish things off.

Good luck squaring that circle![/QUOTE]

Dear AlMitch,

Thanks for you reply.

Komodo looks tempting but a bit pricey for us, alas...

A tad concerned that you should consider Gili diving just "OK". We are hoping to see some big stuff there. Is that an illusion?

Is that area very busy in April?

Thanks for any help!

Best,

Rene

The Komodo Resort is a tad pricey... that's why we haven't been there yet either.

As for the Gili's contact Mars at Divine Divers www.divinedivers.com ask him what you can reasonably expect to see and anything about the island itself.

I have not been to the Gilli's yet BUT spoken to many people who have and read many a review and in general the view I
"So-so diving (in comparison to other places in Indo), but a great place to just hang out and relax".

The diving is so-so around the Gilli's IMHO. I've been twice. I will go when im travelling with my non diving wife and have loaded up on dives on Bali. We really enjoy Gilli Air to sit on the beach, have plenty of dinning options, and when I get antsy the wife tells me to go for a dive, which i gladly do. Big stuff? Loads of turtles, some white tips are what I've seen there. By so-so I mean it pales in comparison to Komodo/Bali. It has good biodiversity but not large schools of fish. Some areas have good coral cover but they tend to be monoculture. Some areas were devastated by dynamite fishing and are recovering, but it's a shame it was done. As it probably was incredible.
Komodo it ain't but for some decent diving it suffices.

Yea, I agree with the above posts. Gili may not be your best option except if you cannot get enough turtle watching.
Lembongan could be nice for all with turtles and mantas. BALI can offer the above and sharks along with an interesting wreck.
In both cases, there's stuff to do for everyone: dives, snorkel, beaches, massage and cultural activities on Bali

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom