SS Iona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In searching for background information about Josua Slocum and The Spray, I noticed the Iona in a picture in the background. Is this the same ship?
Wow this is awesome find....
It does look like it. I will have to investigate some more but thanks for the share

This is the construction drawing I have of it.... and it does seem to match :yeahbaby:

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20220803-140704.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20220803-140704.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 41
If my memory serves me correctly, the Iona is a great wreck (probably top three in KSA) but also a potentially dangerous wreck.

The bow resting on the coral reef is well within recreational depths making it easily approachable for even junior divers.

The large access to the cargo hold is deeper but also within reach allowing for seemingly simple penetration. At that point a recreational diver is on a slippery slope. The excellent visibility makes it seem a dawdle but the depth accelerates consumption, further penetration towards the bow is definitely overhead and penetration aft quickly increases depth past recreational limits.

External exploration to the rudder is most definitely a technical dive with a pretty short bottom time depending on where the dive boat anchored.

I remember diving it and thinking to myself that what the local dives shops were allowing recreational divers to do (without any cautionary guidance) was high risk.

Didn’t mean to be a buzzkill but my most distinct memory of the Iona was that it’s a deceptive wreck. The superb visibility, access and bow-to-stern angle she lay made for a dangerous cocktail requiring DMs to up their game.

Back
Top Bottom