SSI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish I could find a training agency that genuinely teaches advanced diving techniques without telling you what color underwear you need to have to do their course.

What has happened to CMAS over the last 25 years? Their Deuxieme Echelon was a hell of a course. I would love to do it again.

For whatever it's worth and not throwing a flame at any agency here or anything. When I signed up for my OWC I asked the same question about SSI, PADI, and NAUI to my instructor. He is certified with all three with over 7000 dives and now teaches the SSI course. He response was that he teaches the SSI course now because it's requirements to earn certification are a little stricter than PADI and the cost of the course is less expensive. At first I thought BS, the reason is the course is cheaper which would attract more students right? wrong, He offered me a PADI OWC after finishing the SSI course if I wanted it since the SSI course covers all and more than the PADI course. All I would need to do is pay the extra cash for the PADI card since it's more expensive.

Just relaying the .02 I was told

Thank you all very much for your responses. I feel much more comfortable. The instuctor is a reference from a couple of people I work with/for.
Jsut learning as I go, Thanks again.

Grajan once bubbled...
Some have suggested that SSI is an improvement on PADI. I was hoping this to be true.

My first experience (the speciality course books described above) suggests otherwise. They are no more than heavily padded minor skills that should have been part of the OW course in the first place.

Just another money machine.........

As for the 24 dives for advanced - words fail me.

Your right PADI is by far better then SSI just ask anyone. LOL you must be on crack! I am NOT an SSI biggot nor am I a PADI pusher (although I am a PADI divemaster as well as an Instructor for another organization). I am open minded and SSI is as good as the others for entry level certifications (and yes, AOW is an entry level certification). To say SSI is just looking for a fast buck then say PADI is better only shows how much you know about both organizations.

Where on earth did I say PADI is better than SSI?

I clearly stated that, based on the literature, they were much of a muchness.

Fact is I don't have time for either of them. I was hoping SSI would be better. They appear not to be. I am VERY disappointed. I was really hoping for more.

Try and read stuff before responding in future - OK?

Grajan once bubbled...

Much of a muchness? :wink:

Bottom line, SSI is seen as basically the equivalent of PADI by pretty much everyone involved with scuba.

Grajan once bubbled...

Fact is I don't have time for either of them. I was hoping SSI would be better. They appear not to be. I am VERY disappointed. I was really hoping for more.

Try and read stuff before responding in future - OK?

OK, I will and have read your stuff but I ask that you say what you mean when you write.

You know I did read your post and in fact I just read it again. I know what you were trying to say but my friend but you did not say it particularly well. Besides, I am not sure what you are looking for in an AOW course. Your expectations may be a little high. In my opinion all agencies teach a comperable AOW class with PADI actually lagging in quality and requirements (but it is close). It still boils down to the instructor.

AOW is NOT designed to teach somone to be an expert diver. It is designed (by ALL training agencies) to be a certification that takes an OW diver and makes them more comfortable in a wider range situations. I agree there is far more agencies can do in the way of advanced certification but then the prereq's your be beyond the reach of a newly qualified person.

Pete

I've taken and helped teach classes in both SSI and PADI. They are very similar in the course material. Both are recognized world wide with no problem. SSI Adavanced Open Water is structured a little differently than PADI. SSI stresses experience as well as continuing education versus PADI. I value my SSI AOW more than PADI but that is my opinion. I worked harder to gain the experience and academic requirements than the PADI AOW classes I assist with. I work with a great PADI instructor but the PADI agency requirments place less value on experience for the AOW rating.

I've never had a problem having my SSI card recognized in New Zealand, Jamaica, The Cayman Islands or anywhere in the US.

Bottom line is both are good. An SSI card is as good or better than NAUI or PADI or any other agency if your instructor is good.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom