St. Andrews & Morrison Springs info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Headed to St. Andrews for the 4th time this year. Leaving tomorrow, returning Thurs afternoon, planning on diving Tues, Wed & Thurs. Anyone have any current info? Also headed up to Morrisons for a dive one of those days. Last post on Morrisons website was clear water, but that was June 28. Anyone care to update that information? Thanks!

currently the river is at 3.1 feet at Morrison.

SeaYoda and Bugman shared this link with me. They've told me basically you want to dive it when it's 6ft or less on this gauge for clear water.

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Tallahassee: Choctawhatchee River at Caryville

(note, this image linked to a updated website, so this image will update each day also)

hydrograph.php

Morrison and Vortex will be nice throughout the week. However, high tide at St Andrews Jetties is at five am with an average 2 foot change until Thursday. The jetties will be an e-ticket ride.

I snorkeled Morrison Last Tuesday and it was mostly clear. It had rained so some run-off was coming into the basin. The viz was probably 40'.

I plan on hitting Morrison Springs tommorow with the wife. I will give a report if we make it out there. At the time of this post the gauge was reading 2.9, so it should be nice.

Me and the wife will be there wed.

Hey everyone, never made it to Morrison. After some research, I'm going to either hit it really early (when they open the gate) or wait until school is back in so I don't have to deal with the locals. We've tried several times to dive there, and if it isn't mucked up from the rain, there were too many people in the water, and they're kind of "different".

We did dive St. Andrews Tues, Wed & Thurs though. Tuesday was very nice, slightly cloudy water, but very nice. Schools of fish everywhere, seemed to be non-stop, including a nice school of red fish.

The June Grass invaded overnight to make the dive Wednesday a little less enjoyable, but we had fun taking a couple of new guys out with us. Tuesday afternoon we spotted a man and his son on the beach with their gear and we spoke to them. They were newly certified and had only been on a boat the previous day and the current beat them up pretty bad, so we offered to take them Wednesday morning to the jetties. They were there right on time. They were pressed for time, so we were in a little earlier than usual, which I think contributed to the June grass not being cleared out yet, but they raved about how much fun it was. There wasn't as much wildlife visible as there was the day before, but the current was just right, and we still had a good dive.

The grass was still around on Thursday morning, but not quite as thick. As the time approached actual high tide, it cleared out pretty well giving us about 40' of visibility and the schools of fish were more visible.

To whomever it was that stated that high tide was in the middle of the night, you might want to double check where you're getting your info... high tide was between 11:00 and 1:00 all 3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom