St. Thomas/St. John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with scubachris. I lived in St Thomas (actually, between Tutu and Red Hook) and I wouldn't make it a destination for strictly diving. But the topside activities more than make up for this.

The operators in St. Thomas and St. John dive a lot of the same sites, and some of them :10: are very good. So you could base yourself at either place.

In terms of dives, I would especially recommend Congo Cay. It's got some great pinnacles and walls, about 60-80 ft, and some of the healthiest coral I've seen anywhere.

I also enjoyed a dive at Mingo Bay. It starts out at 20 ft, and you gradually get to walls about 60-70 ft, with some nice channels that tend to have big stuff moving through -- I saw spotted eagle rays and nurse sharks.

I would highly recommend the Dive In operation in Sapphire Beach. It's much more personal than Chris Sawyer, which tends to be a cattle boat.

One last recommendation -- head out to Megan's Bay on a day when the cruise ships are not in town. It has the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, and some phenomenal snorkeling off the rocks at the far end of the beach.

We found the diving around St. Thomas and St. John to be pleasant but nothing spectacular. The snorkelling at Waterlemon Key (St. John) was excellent, however - as did one of the previous posters, I highly recommend it. We snorkelled there for hours at a time and saw tons of great fish, turles, rays, and (in the distance) a shark. Saw a really big permit (fish), the only time ever. It was impressive! The islands are beautiful and so are the beaches - I'm sure you'll have a fun trip!

Tim Ingersoll:
The diving in St. Thomas and St. John is fairly average. Not a lot of depth. No walls. Mild to no current. Occasional big stuff. Lots of little stuff. Not bad but not great.

they say it's very average diving. I tend to agree... the USVI/BVI do have their share of good wrecks though.

It's also a good all-around destination with a varying above-water topology and geology not often found in the caribbean: there are lots of little islands to explore much like the Bahamas but unlike the Bahamas they have mountains like St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

One of the most enchanting sites anywhere is Eagle Shoal, southeast of St. John. It's not often diveable, so be sure to ask, just in case you get a good day. It's open water, so there will be swells and probably current.

Great rock formations including a cathedral. Covered with fish.

Back
Top Bottom