St Thomas/US Virgin Islands / Any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Blue Island Divers while on a cruise in November 2010. Had no problems and two great wreck dives. I'll be there for a day in August and this time I'm going to try Admiralty Divers since I've heard good things about them.

Head to the British side of things and dive the Rhone. It was literally my first dive and it damn near ruined me on every other dive site since. It's that good.

We are heading to St Thomas in the near future with some diving friends.
Although several posts have recommended other islands, it appears that you are specificially going to St. Thomas. The advice about prices, food, insects, and avoiding cruise ship areas are spot on. Depending on where you are staying, and what your diving tastes are, among the dive ops you might touch base with Red Hook, located on the east end, away from the primary cruise ship area. I have heard good things about them recently since the transition of management / ownership (they were formerly Chris Sawyer I believe).

I dove with Blue Island Divers while on a cruise in November 2010. Had no problems and two great wreck dives. I'll be there for a day in August and this time I'm going to try Admiralty Divers since I've heard good things about them.

Well, I heard back from Admiralty and they'll only offer us a two-tank dive because our ship doesn't get in until 9 am and we'll be cutting it tight getting back to the ship in the afternoon. Blue Island will give us three dives starting at 10 am, so they're getting me back as a repeat customer in August. :cool2:

Blue Island is great to dive with. Small boats, nice trips, no cattle boats there! Highly recommend them, talk with DJ at the shop, near downtown,

As for the shells, the reason that you dont collect them is that you typically cannot get back through customs with them

Definitely do a day trip to St. John, take the ferry out of redhook if you are staying on east end, if not, downtown ferry is a bit longer, bot accomplishes same. For day trip, rent a car and hit the beaches for snorkelling. I was not overly impressed with the dive shop right in cruz bay, but have heard others have good experiences. it is a bit bulky to carry dive gear on the ferry.

As for dining on St. Thomas, as someone mentioned malfoies, Roberts at the Elysian (high dollar but worth it) on East End as well as Molly Malones in East end for cheap eats, and good food.

Rum is definitely cheap, and not a bad idea to take/buy own mixers and make your own drinks, much cheaper... but not required, as the drink specials and happy hours all over the island can definitely be worth the trip!

Enjoy, have fun, and relax. Nothing happens fast there, it is always island time!

Ive already been in touch with DJ @ Blue Island...

Thanks to all of you for your input..

We are heading to St Thomas in the near future with some diving friends. I personally have never been there , so if anyone would like to offer up some do's or donts? I would be interested in hearing them, as well as suggestions on dive sites.
When are you going? We are going at the end of May. I booked a couple of dives with Admiralty Dive Center.

I go over to the USVI for diving every so often. Opinions vary, but for me: I prefer the diving out of St Thomas to that out of St John (I like deep wrecks, and they have some nice ones in St T.). But I much prefer staying on St John to staying on St Thomas. I have not been to St Croix for over 20 years, so can't really offer any opinion on it.

I am very fond of the diving in the BVI, but the BVI as a whole tends to be more expensive and less sophisticated than the USVI (although the actual cost of diving is slightly cheaper - everything else is more expensive and cumbersome). Acid test: if friends from the US ask me where they should go on holiday, I recommend St John.

I am pretty agnostic about dive operators on St John. On St Thomas I am pretty loyal to Admiralty.

Hope that helps.

When are you going? We are going at the end of May. I booked a couple of dives with Admiralty Dive Center.

epointer, I'm one of xnavyeod's friends going to St Thomas. We're leaving on 3/7/12 for 5 nights. One of us will post our experiences.

Back
Top Bottom