St Thomas/US Virgin Islands / Any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are back and its a wonderful place to dive. But before I get into the dives I would like to thank all of you again for the input. I do have to say that DJ @ Blue Island Divers was a big disappointment to me personally, as I had been communicationg with him and he never suggested that we book early, and we would set things up upon our arrival. When we walked into the shop and introduced ourselves his reply was "Were Booked,You should have scheduled" Are you kidding me would it have been that hard to say that in one of your e-mails?

Needless to say It was the best thing that could have happened, because we went over to Red Hook Diving Center, and were treated like royalty. Wayne & his crew did an awesome job, there gear was all in great condition, and there staff was second to none in my opinion. We told them what we wanted and they provided without hesitation.

We made 6 dives in 2 days and were luck enough to get lots of pictures & videos, from lobster,to turtles. I will post some pictures on here in the near future.

Here are a few of the pictures that I took in St.Thomas...It truly is an underwater paradise:wink:
372.jpg385.jpg408.jpg409.jpg

Looks like it was a good trip. I was going to book with Blue Island, but I heard good things about Admiralty so I booked with them. Hopefully it will be a good trip.

The diving should be great anywhere you go down there..I was very pleased with Red hook. A good boat experience along with a great dive is all that you could ask for.

I see your from N.E PA... I was thinking of diving erie this summer, any suggestions?

Ive been reading up on Osprey charters up your way....One of our LDS uses them

My wife and I are heading to St. Thomas the first week of May but my wife is not a diver and I just recently got certified but do want to sneak a few dives in while I am there.

What is recommended for exposure protection? I assume a 3mm wetsuit is the norm but coming from Seattle’s cooler water temperatures I currently dive dry and also have a Bare 7mm Elastek full and 7mm Elastek hooded vest. Would I be too warm if I used just the full or just the vest? I can spring for a 3mm if needed but wouldn’t mind getting by with what I have.

Thanks.

There are several good dive operators here. Blue Island does a lot of the wrecks due to proximity to their shop. They do pick up a few cruise ship passengers but they are usually experienced. There is also Admirality and Red Hook Dive Center located on the East End. They dive the reefs of St John.

Ok, here is a local's do and don't list
Don't stand on our reefs.
Don't touch anything.
Don't forget to put on sunscreen. The sun is brutal here.
Don't forget to have your gear serviced before you go on vacation

Do call ahead and reserve your spot on the boat
Do tip your dive crew
Do cover up when you are not on the beach, it offends us to see your flesh hanging out on main street
Do have a good time but don't drink too much. The rum goes down easy and the drinks are strong.---

------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM -----
GRH--3mm in May should keep you comfortable. You might even be ok in your vest and board shorts. I live here, so I get cold easier.
XNavyEOD--My personal dive shop is Red Hook. They do a really nice tour and are really nice people.

Back
Top Bottom