St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto on chris's operation. very good....
and...their pier is just a 5 minute walk from coki beach shore dive

I agree with Tim. I'm glad he had a good experience (whew) as I led the two of the dives he was on during his visit to St. Thomas. We did a best of the BVI's day and dove two sites that rarely if ever get dove.

He's right about the Rhone trip it is worth it. This history behind the RMS Rhone is pretty interesting and the dive itself is amazing. They daily dives are nice to, no they are not south pacific, cayman walls or Cocos island. But they water is clear and blue, good viz, interesting small and large critters to check out. Ask Frank about how a garden eel moves it's eyes if you dive with Chris Sawyer!

Depending on when you are going you may want to call and book your diving as during high season the Friday Rhone trips can fill up.

Enjoy!

Chris

I had a great diving experience down there a couple of months. Dove with blue island divers (www.blueislanddivers.com) and enjoyed it very much. The shop appeared to be more geared towards advanced divers. Did one wreck which was one of the best I've done -- the Wit Shoal (you can see pictures on blue island's website under divesites).

Hal

-Whoops- Tim did more than two dives on his St. Thomas visit, meant to say I led two of the dives... Sorry Tim

Did forget to mention Coki as well. Nice shore dive, inexpensive and and easy reef to navigate with lots to see. Their store is on the way to Coki Beach and the have an operation on the beach as well. Say Hi to Chris and Pete if you go there (not me), Chris bought my truck when I moved off island!

Chris

I'll be heading to St. Thomas Sept. 4 - 11. I'll post a trip report. My wife is only letting me dive for 3 days. :(

I'll be diving with Blue Island Divers.

Duane

Jhnsndn,

Say hello to Ian, Harley and Blue Island Divers owner Aitch (pronounced "H"). They are great guys and you'll like the operation. If you're in to wrecks they are a great op. to dive with. There's a great restaurant right next store called Tickles, good breakfast and lunch menu.
Bring your computer as Blue Island will let you dive to it, just don't go into no deco. Easy to do on some of the deeper wreck dives. Aitch has found some long forgotten about wrecks as well so enjoy.
Chris

Have fun down on St. Thomas....if all goes well, (read as: if I get the job I applied for) I will be down there about the same time you will (Sept 6 through the beginning of December at least). 3 months on a Caribbean island...I really hope I get this job LOL.....

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion of the dive instructors down on St. Thomas- who's the best? who's OK? I want to be trained by someone who really knows their stuff- especially since I am hoping to come back with my AOW certification and maybe a couple of specialties.

Any good spearfishing or lobstering spots that anyone can recommend?

Once again have fun with your trip to USVI.

Medic Diver,
I'm guessing with your creds you may be at the hospital on a traveling rotation? Good luck :) A few of the hospital staff dive with Chris Sawyer, especially as their housing is in the East end and the dive shop offers a great deal for local divers. When I was there I tought a couple of traveling nurses and a few doctor's.

I'd also recommend them for instructors. They have a Course Director and two IDC Staff Instuctors on staff in addition to a number of other instructors. All have many years of experience from a variety of islands and operations. But you'll find that they've settled in at Chris Sawyer, it isn't the place that get's the seasonal help in and out, which is good. They can also teach just about any specialty you desire, although they will recommend some.

You may also want to check out Blue Island divers for some south side (of the island) wreck dives. Harley, Ian and Aitch are great guys at that operation.

As far as lobstering or spearing, can't give away my lobster honey holes as I'm back again in December but there are some good places. Admiratly dive center is the place to go for spearfishing equipment, they are in the Holiday Inn Windward passage downtown.

You'll have to make friends or call around to go out on a boat spearfishing or lobstering. The operations don't mix sport divers and hunters. It's hard to talk about all the great things to see and then have a hunter throw his line with a snapper on to the boat. Admiralty does blue water charters, free diving only as far as I know. And there are a few really great freediver hunters on the island.

Otherwise you can rent a boat, make sure to leave someone on the boat and look around. Make sure to know where the national park is as these areas are definate no take.

Enjoy,

Chris Miller

PS Deep side of Hans Lollik has some good ledges for lobsters!

jhnsndn,

Just got an email from friends at Chris Sawyer in St. Thomas. I know you're diving with Blue Island but you may want to consider a day on the east end. They are starting the adventure Sunday's again and there's one on Sunday Sept. 5. They are day trips and dive sites rarely ever dove.

Sites like: Eagle Shoals off the south east coast of St John, or Outer Brass Cay off the north coast of St Thomas, or even Cockroach, or Pinnacles.

Just a thought. Either way have fun and say hello to the guys at Blue Island for me. tell them Chris and Tricia say hello.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom