Starlink Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there, tried that, no joy.

I sent the "bridge" back to Amazon and got another one ordered that claims to be "Plug & Play" no configuration needed. It arrives tomorrow. Plug and Play Bridge

A professional network engineer came to my house and tried to set up the one I just sent back and he could not make it work either.

I greatly appreciate all the help you guys have given me on this. I am going to keep plugging away at it.

I also set up a eero Mesh Network in the house. It is great - the house is almost 4000 square feet and there were dead spots that WiFi extenders helped, but did not completely solve. This mesh network has solved the dead spots problem completely.
Eero's are AWESOME! Have them for my townhouse since it's all block with double pane windows...was tough getting signal in the driveway for cameras and such.

I had a terrible experience with eero myself.

Eero is okay for most users who don't have uplinks above about 500Mbps. I had a bunch of eero pro 6e's, as Frontier was giving them away free for a while. The eeros were a constant problem for me. They don't play well with other routers, you cannot configure frame size, no web interface or PC application. They would get slower and slower over time for no reason I could discern. Daily reboots helped some. Cell phone is required to use it, which does suck but isn't the end of the world. Personally I found the phone only interface to be a pain with very limited capabilities. My final complaint is that eero doesn't use external antennae. That leaves them with significantly less range/speed than a product with external antennae. I needed four 6e eeros to cover a 1600sf home. My current router (and the one I had before the eero) was able to cover the whole house with one device.

I contacted support about frame size and the support person didn't even know what that was🤦‍♂️. So, there is someone answering email from eero aka amazon, but they don't actually know anything. I undersand many home network users won't know what that is or why you'd want to configure it, but for a technical support person at a network company to not know - that's a problem.

Frontier has since stopped using the eeros, which is no surprise to me. They replaced mine with a tp-link archer axe300 (and range extenders). They didn't even want the eeros back, and I asked specifically about that several times.

TP-Link devices are all fully open source, and I did ask for and receive source code for all my switches and routers. Oh, and they do have support staff who at least know a little bit about networking.

We now have the "Bridge" up and running. It is shooting a signal about 50 yards to our cottage/mother-in-law apartment. I have a WiFi Range Extender hard wired to the PoE box broadcasting the WiFi signal up there.

Thanks to all of you who helped me set this up.

The eeros were a constant problem for me. They don't play well with other routers, you cannot configure frame size, no web interface or PC application.
I don't even know what a "Frame Size" is.
I don't have any other routers in my house. As far as no web interface...I have an app named "eero" on my iPhone and there are some configurable settings there.
After having this eero mesh network with 3 nodes less than a week we are very happy with it.

Now that I have the Bridge and the mesh network up and running I am back to the original question: Will Starlink work at my house.

Take A Look Here and see what you think, please.

Now that I have the Bridge and the mesh network up and running I am back to the original question: Will Starlink work at my house.

Take A Look Here and see what you think, please.
Mount it in a tree or on an antenna mast if you want "good" service if you're ok with occasional interruptions I've used it in worse locations. I won't be back down in HS for a bit, but I'll let you know when I come down next time if you've not made a decision yet and you can try it.

I have decided against Starlink - I was placing the order for all the stuff I need, cables, mounts etc and the price was around $850.00.

Look for another thread I am starting with questions about the Point-to-Point bridge and the eero network I have setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom