stay off the corals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I very new to diving (just completed OWC), but also believe strongly in environmental conservation. Can you give those of us who don't have extensive training or experience in staying off the reefs some tips. :confused:

Keep in mind that what is obvious to those of you who have been diving a long time is not so with us newby types.

Thanks.

You are already on your way. If you dive often and want to improve you will. The slobs are the ones who don't care and think they already know it all. I don't think any of us will be to hard on a new diver who bumps the bottom once or twice. Everyone hase to learn but some refuse.

This thread reminds me of my last dive off Monastery Beach in Carmel, CA. The surge was so bad, even at 40'-50', that I literally couldn't help touching things to keep from being thrown into kelp stems or rocks. I'm a cave diver, and have superb buoyancy skills most of the time, but I surfaced after that dive feeling quite guilty that I had touched half the ocean!

- Warren

When I first certified to dive in 1978 in Hawaii, no one taught us about keeping off the reefs! There was no discussion in training, and most everyone wore gloves because we were constantly gabbing the reef for one reason or another. When I did a quick refresher in 2000 and made a couple dives in St. Croix, no mention was made on the dive boat about staying off the reef (perhaps they did say something and I have forgotten....I'm OLD) but I was VERY careful, as I had been doing my reading before the dive and knew what the NEW policy was. When I take my recertification next month and my OW cert, I'll be interested to see what they have to say about the topic. My dive in St. Croix, I was careful with my trim and touched the reef only once with a finger, and once with a fin by mistake, so I think I'm staying aware....

Frankenmuth Tom

Congrats on becoming certified! What you most want to work on to not damage a coral reef is your bouyancy skills. As Mike said, dive, dive, dive! Most of the time you will be carrying way too much weight on your check out dives to overcompensate for heavy breathing. So, dive alot, get comfortable with your breathing and the feeling of neutral bouyancy. And, most of all, enjoy! And remember that there's very cool "critters" living in the sandy areas,too! Kicking up alot of sand not only invades their homes but also the sand can land on the coral and suffocate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom