Staying at the Melia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daddoos

Registered
Reaction score
So we booked and paid for our June/July stay at the Melia and now I've read that it may not be the best place for dive boat pick ups.

We're still excited, no regrets....now just have to find a good dive boat we can trust to pick us up there and take us to the reefs.

Suggestions?

**Wish I found this wonderful board a bit sooner. Have found great info in just 6 hours!

we have stayed at the Melia in the past and just booked there again for August. While I have read here and there that there are one or two dive ops that will pick up there, most won't because of the distance. What I did was catch a taxi down to Calleta Marina each morning and board there. Its about a 15-20 (ish) ride and is ~ $10-12 each way. Taxi's are readily available so no worries there. Some of the ops do pick up in town so it might be a tad cheaper to find one that picks up divers there. Yes, its an added expense but its a nice place with a nice beach and decent food.

Let me know if you need any more info.

I know that Blue Magic Scuba will pay for your taxis to Caleta from their shop on Calle 4. I did that this year with them when I stayed in town and dove with them. Contact Joyce at joyce@bluemagicscuba.com and see want she can do for you.

I second pinotscubajack. Most dive ops will not go there, so you need to get south. Melia isn't far from town, so it would be cheaper to go to Blue Magic Scuba than Caleta, and let them take care of the rest. They are great, I've been diving with them twice this year. Check them out

Haven't isolated it down to anyone yet as I continue to read good reviews from many on this board. My current plan is to continue reviewing web sites and reviews and (upon deciding on which) try to negotiate an even better rate with cash once I'm on the island and in their presence. I'll have narrowed it down to my favorite 2 or 3 ops.

I don't mean to come off as a cheapskate, I believe in supporting the local operators. In my defense I'll remind everyone that I'll represent a family of 4 divers doing multiple dives over the period of two weeks. Hopefully the local operator of my choosing will take that into consideration during negotiations.

Last edited:
Where is this place?

I know our people always come and get us and if the dock at the place is too shallow, they get a smaller boat to get us and take us to the big boat..

Some people like small boats some like em big.. We seem to prefer the larger boats.. Not because of the cattle feel, but because we never feel like cattle and we have places to spread out and lounge.

Where is this place?

I know our people always come and get us and if the dock at the place is too shallow, they get a smaller boat to get us and take us to the big boat..

Some people like small boats some like em big.. We seem to prefer the larger boats.. Not because of the cattle feel, but because we never feel like cattle and we have places to spread out and lounge.

The Melia is a good ways north of the downtown ferry pier. If you are staying at the Melia, most any dive op you go with will want you to cab it at least into town to get picked up.

Haven't isolated it down to anyone yet as I continue to read good reviews from many on this board. My current plan is to continue reviewing web sites and reviews and (upon deciding on which) try to negotiate an even better rate with cash once I'm on the island and in their presence. I'll have narrowed it down to my favorite 2 or 3 ops.

I don't mean to come off as a cheapskate, I believe in supporting the local operators. In my defense I'll remind everyone that I'll represent a family of 4 divers doing multiple dives over the period of two weeks. Hopefully the local operator of my choosing will take that into consideration during negotiations.
Some dive ops will give you a bit of a discount for a "group" and/or multi-day booking. You'll find that info on their websites. (And that usually requires advance reservations and often a deposit as well.) Aside from that, don't expect to cut a deal for paying cash. Many of the smaller shops don't take cards, or if they do, some will add an additional service charge for that convenience (credit card processing fees are much higher in Mexico then in the US)

A 2-tank boat dive can range from around $55-95. The difference is based on extra amenities and services. With so many to choose from, pick a shop that offers what you want at the price you are willing to pay. Don't go in expecting to get a top-notch boutique shop to take you for the price of a more budget conscious, no frills operation.

If you're looking at one of the smaller/boutique shops then you'll be better off to book in advance. They only have room for a limited number of divers and if the boat takes 6, they may not have room for your 4 on the days you want to dive if you try to book only a day or two in advance once you arrive.

Most shops will pick up from town south. Check with the dive op you book with. You might be able to just cab it to the pier in town and not have to go all way to the caleta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom