Steel LP 130...too much gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy it.

the K

HP 130s are nice tanks. They're still pretty easy to handle on land, and they trim out real well underwater. If you have a good SAC rate and have good exposure protection, it's possible to do a multi-level non-deco dive that will challenge the contents of an HP 100 (I know this because I've done it). The 130 gives you a nice safety reserve for just about any recreational dive, and is a lot easier to manage from a logistics standpoint than doubles.

You'll drop about 5 lbs by switching from an Al80 to an HP130. Not as much as one would like, but it's something.

I do not think that a LP130 was ever manufactured. It is probably a HP130. That being said, if it is in fact a LP130 it will be one seriously big tank. I have two LP120's and they are the biggest tanks I would want to deal with, but when I fill them to 3800psi they hold 175cf of gas each and since I have them doubled I can get four dives out of one fill. A LP130 would probably weigh around 60#'s and be about 15-20#'s negative when full, so your BC has plenty of lift.

Considering the type of diving that you do a HP130 would be about perfect, but there is no such thing as to much air.

Considering the type of diving that you do a HP130 would be about perfect, but there is no such thing as to much air.

I totally agree with you on that but one thing to remember is that with a a 130 it is possible to get into large amounts of deco. Not a problem if you pay attention obviously.

Most of my local dives are light deco dives with double 80's. Normally get out with around 1500 psi remaining. I like having so much gas that I can (kind of) forget about it.

I have two sets of HP130 doubles on the way.. so no, I don't think it's too much gas :)

Your BC should have plenty of lift. Depending on which 130 you are talking about, the tank will be between -2 (Worthington X8-130) to +1.5 (Faber FX133) at the end of the dive. It looks like OMS had a LP135, but I assume you are talking HP here. So let's say you have a Worthington. An AL80 is +4 positive when empty, the Worthington is -2. So you just need to drop that 6lb tank weight you were using and you are all set. With the extra air, you will need about 6lbs more lift at the beginning of the dive. With the lead you ditch, the set-up should only be about 5lbs heavier on land. Sounds like a no-brainer to me :)

The HP130 is a nice tank. Not too big.

Remember if you were buoyant with the 80 near empty, you weren't weighted properly. ALL tanks change buoyancy the same per cubic foot of air used no matter what they are made of. A 130 will change more from full to empty than an 80 will.

I totally agree with you on that but one thing to remember is that with a a 130 it is possible to get into large amounts of deco. Not a problem if you pay attention obviously.

I agree with this. I use 130's (as single tanks, I own two) and the only sense in which you could say "too much air" is that the first couple of dives after switching from an 80, you might find that NDL are real things to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom