Steve Irwin dead from stingray sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
As alcina says, very few ocean creatures will ever hurt you unless you get too close or threaten them.
Don't provoke marine life is the major prevention

Do anyone know stingray "venom" is unusual caused death

Yeah, I picked up on this story when I first logged into the Internet. How very sad. His wife must be crushed. But, wow, what a way to go. At least he went doing something he loved, but still, he was way too young!!!

On a personal note, now I'm bummed. If & when I ever got to Austrialia a friend of mine was going to introduce me to him. Now I won't be able to met him :shakehead . I was a huge fan of his show.

I wonder how this will affect the various stingray encounters that are so popular with the cruise type crowd. This will get lots of attention and people are now going to be terrified of them.

First let me first quickly offer my sincere condolences to the Irwin family, biological and otherwise, for this tragedy. I admire the way he always energetically and passionately strove to bring wildlife education to the world. The conservation efforts that the Irwin team have been involved in certainly has made a dent in preventing the loss of all kinds of animal life over the years and I am sure they will continue to do so in the future, at least I hope so. Steve, thank you for your energy, passion, love, and courage. I can only hope you are sitting somewhere cool, looking back at this life, smiling with satisfaction over what you have achieved. Rest in peace. :coffee:

Chaseh:
I wonder how this will affect the various stingray encounters that are so popular with the cruise type crowd. This will get lots of attention and people are now going to be terrified of them.

I think Steve's tragic death is a perfect opportunity for some good healthy education; I am sure he would have wanted it this way. Wild animals deserve r.e.s.p.e.c.t. Even when you do afford them that by giving them their space, not provoking them, you know, generally being a good boy/girl, know that there always is a risk, always!

From what I've seen thus far, I do not think that the media has portrayed rays as terrifying creatures amidst all this buzz, and neither do I think they will, but I do hope that the important message for respecting animals will be conveyed to the public. As scuba divers, appreciators of our water world, let us continue to carry and live this message with us wherever we dive, making sure that we point to this tragic incident when confronting those who disrespect our wildlife in the name of "they're harmless!"

well, from the "cruise crowd", we leave in the morning and will be visiting stingray city in Grand Cayman on Tuesday. We visit twice/year and won't be missing this one. Our 5 yr old will be joining us in the water again and I'm not hesitating about that decision either. It's was a freak accident that can happen to anyone at anytime with anything. It's a risk I am willing to take.

Here is a pic of a stingray we happened upon in the bahamas.... I think we spooked him when we came up the sides of the ship. He just swam away afer this photo was taken. a good shot of the barb on his tail. Just thought I'd post it......

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but can't get the pic to show up...

heres the link.... sorry!

http://martygiacone.net/dimages/stingray.html

ohhh. great picture! thanks for sharing. they are such beautiful and graceful creatures.

I'm in auckland at this time and went to Kelly tarlton's underwater aqua-thing and they have a stingrayfeeding-show. The guys just swim and hang around these 2m in diameter creatures like it's their home dog. But ofcourse the stingrays they got there are living there for some years and are used to people handling them. Those fish don't look that scary, but still... if I see one in the open sea.. I just stay within distance... still they are magnificient to look at...

ScubaCatgirl:
Yeah, I picked up on this story when I first logged into the Internet. How very sad. His wife must be crushed. But, wow, what a way to go. At least he went doing something he loved, but still, he was way too young!!!

On a personal note, now I'm bummed. If & when I ever got to Austrialia a friend of mine was going to introduce me to him. Now I won't be able to met him :shakehead . I was a huge fan of his show.
myself as well..... a huge fan that is and yes i would have LOVED too have met him, though SOMETIMES he was out there, i always enjoyed his show and all of what he did for the world and conservation of the wild life!! he will be sooooo missed by most of the world!!! RIP STEVE!!! condolenses to his family!!!!!!!!! what a huge loss to the people and animals of the world!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom