stick with HOG for new-to-doubles diver, or switch brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one on my bm setup also, no problems here. It just seems like my apeks is a little smoother but my hogs have been rock solid so far. Oh yeah i had them down to 150 fts in 38 degrees water....all good

I've switched away from the Hog 2nd stages. I find them balanced awkwardly where they feel heavy and pull down and tear my mouthpieces. I've also found the 2nds to need adjustment quite often. The 1st have been solid performers and I'm happy for the price. I still use them on my stage and deco bottles. Depth wise I've used them below 200' and in freezing water without issue. I have 3 D1s and 1 D3. I prefer the D3 as the orings don't fall out of the din face as often.

. . . Why do you. pooh-pooh the Hogs?

what makes you think they aren't the best performers out there? They work just fine....

Just occasional negative anecdotes among the many many others praising HOG, I suppose. I knew HOG has its fans on SB--the comments here were what persuaded me to buy our singles reg sets a few years ago. They breathe as well as any reg I can recall trying, though I can't say I have tried many. The only issue I can recall with the Classic 2nd was that we thought it breathed a little wetter in a current than we would have expected--exhaust valve issue, I suppose. Really, for the kind of diving I have done, except for a likely poorly maintained rental reg I used once a long time ago, I can't recall using any reg that I have perceived as a better or worse breather than any other.

I really didn't expect to receive advice to switch brands now that I want to dive doubles. But this is SB--surely someone here would try to steer me to a reg that they perceive as "better"? :wink:

Again, all that prompted me to ask for confirmation of what I suppose I already knew was that I recalled a few random negative anecdotes. Apeks "a little smoother"? 2nds that "need adjustment quite often"? I am at an advantage over many reg shoppers in that I have been diving with the HOG for several years and have been pleased with it. Maybe I'll give Jim Lapenta a call.

I use one on my bm setup also, no problems here. It just seems like my apeks is a little smoother but my hogs have been rock solid so far. Oh yeah i had them down to 150 fts in 38 degrees water....all good

I've switched away from the Hog 2nd stages. I find them balanced awkwardly where they feel heavy and pull down and tear my mouthpieces. I've also found the 2nds to need adjustment quite often. The 1st have been solid performers and I'm happy for the price. I still use them on my stage and deco bottles. Depth wise I've used them below 200' and in freezing water without issue. I have 3 D1s and 1 D3. I prefer the D3 as the orings don't fall out of the din face as often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom