Still Finding New Ways to Screw Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumbass. :rofl:

Such a small error, grabbing the wrong hose.

Actually, it seems that this is exactly what the pony is for and even being heavy and using the pony without assist from the BC, following up the anchor line would have addressed the heavy part (or perhaps a breath into the BC to aid in ascent ... the Air 2 oral inflation still works.) It wasn't an emergency but the beginnings of a scenario for the exact reason you are carrying the pony.

I suspect the QD female attachment had the spring jam when it was forced onto the incorrect male fitting. I also suspect the Air 2 QD male fitting is larger than the BC spare male fitting ... otherwise it just would not have attached, it wouldn't have ben able to be inserted into the QD female. For what it's worth.

It was an "emergency", but it resolved itself in 2-3 seconds. Worst case scenario, I would add some air orally to the BC, start the ascent and most likely shut it down, on the way up if it was getting low and then switch to the pony bottle.

As for some of the comments elsewhere, I can make it up from 70 feet with a little pony bottle. My brand new back up light flooded, that is why i had only one light and I was wearing a cyalume stick. At night I will have a redundant light.. pretty much always

and taking the time to learn how to use the equipment

I absolutely knew that one inflator was compatible. Reinforcing this idea is that I had the Air 2 inflator just hanging there, but i had to go through the process of unhooking my active BC inflator hose to initiate the inflation.. which I did do.. but then dropped it and switched hoses grabbing the very different Air 2 hose. They are not easily confused... It really was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

That show me again why I need to start saving money for a 30cf pony.

Sorry for the off-topic

Why you prefer that lift bag over the open bottom lift bag ?

I once had a very similar experience inflating a Halcyon lift bag. The bag inflated just fine, but the valve on the inflator stuck open. I finally got it to close, but was surprised at just how much gas I dumped in the process. Fortunately, I wasn't very deep.

Back
Top Bottom