Stolen artifacts from Gunilda wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the dinner bell is new to me. Was this diver recovered? It could be something associated with the ship and removed pre sinking, the wood on the handle in the photographs looks to good to be have been underwater.
SM

Well the dinner bell is new to me. Was this diver recovered? It could be something associated with the ship and removed pre sinking, the wood on the handle in the photographs looks to good to be have been underwater.
SM
Wow, he got it sold this time - for $127! No way to prove if it's real or not I bet.

Well it does not look like that Gunilda artifact was ever on the wreck, but is authentic. It was taken off the vessel, very likely the crack in the bell resulted in it being replaced or removed from the vessel prior to the sinking, likely at the time it was at the New York Yacht Club. I am hoping to flush out its history but it was eventually given to the Harkness museum and then taken out of collection and finally made its way to the vendor by way of an estate sale. Stand down the SCUBA cops SWAT team.

That's horrible, they should stop operations into that area then or they should hire someone who will guide tourist who swims deep that wreck.

It's seems the people who complain the most about artifacts are the ones who never done anything to locate them in their lives. I've found 8 wrecks so far and had ample opportunities to take artifacts if I wanted them. Not one artifact yet has been token off the wrecks we found (yet). What people fail to relize is that there are not entitled to anything on the bottom unless if they find it first. Numerous court cases have proved this.

For the Gunilda curious. I wrote a small article a couple of years back that was published in Netherlands. Remi in France read the article and while he lived it the states purchase what looks to me like a family photo album shot of the Gunilda. It contains 117 images of the wreck I have never seen before.
Gunilda

Enjoy
Scott McWilliam

very sad!

a little something based on your internet diving perhaps?[

QUOTE=divingjohnson;7148718]very sad![/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom