Stoney Lake in Oxford, MI.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone have any information about diving in Stoney Lake? Its located in Oxford, MI. Was wondering if it was open for public diving, what the conditions were like, what do you need to know about the dive site to dive it? Also, if anyone is interested in diving it, let me know!

Hi Mike,
I don't know much about Stoney Lk. other than it's location. I think I'd like to try diving it. I can go during the week after work. I work in Lake Orion, so I'm not far away.

Last edited:
I have been diving in Stoney Lake 1 time. I was with someone who knew the lake fairly well. All we did was find one sunken boat but, I'm sure there is more stuff down there. We got geared up in the parking lot and had to walk the gazillion steps down to the water. It was harder going back up. :) I think we just paid for a day permit but, it was awhile ago so, not sure. I know they could have cared less that we were diving. In fact, I've been to that lake around 4x for huge group picnics and 1 wedding and we have always seen divers in the water.

I bet if you stopped into Divers Den in Lake Orion, they could give you a better idea of whats in the water there and where you might find stuff.

I wouldn't mind taking a stroll in it again. Let me know when you guys are gonna dive and maybe I can force myself up and down those stairs again. lol

I'm open for doing a dive there next week. I could do it after work (meet there about 6:30pm any night of the week other than Monday works for me) or if that doesn't work, I could even fit in some diving over the holiday weekend. Let me know what would work best for you.

I'm open for doing a dive there next week. I could do it after work (meet there about 6:30pm any night of the week other than Monday works for me) or if that doesn't work, I could even fit in some diving over the holiday weekend. Let me know what would work best for you.

Could do it Tuesday.

Also just found out, I have this Friday off, so could do something during the day or early evening there or else where.

Ok found the DNR map for Stoney Lake.. It's a start! http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/OAKLAND/STONY_LAKE.PDF

Did also find some lds's in our general area who may be of help with more info on different spots...

· Underwater Outfitters, 2579 Union Lake Road, Commerce Township, (248) 363-2224; hours Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

· Pro Scuba, 4395 Dixie Highway, Waterford, (248) 674-3483; hours Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.

· U.S. Scuba Center, 515 S. Rochester Road, Rochester Hills, (248) 650-9500; hours Monday Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

· Sea the World Scuba Center, 29480 W. 10 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, (248) 478-6400 hours Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, gone diving.

· All Seasons Diving Co., 3910 Lake George Road, Dryden, (810) 796 2357; Owner Tom Mercier is usually available on weekends and evenings.

Last edited:
I could do Friday early evening. (lets talk about it tomorrow Merrimorte!)

Tuesday is hit or miss. If I don't get booked by 4:30pm I can make it.

I could do Friday early evening. (lets talk about it tomorrow Merrimorte!)

Tuesday is hit or miss. If I don't get booked by 4:30pm I can make it.

Indeed so! This Friday early evening perhaps... But work at 6a the next day... so cant be out too late! lol

I do also have Mon off (the 25th)

They went out of business awhile ago.
· Underwater Outfitters, 2579 Union Lake Road, Commerce Township, (248) 363-2224; hours Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

This place looks awesome!! Do a trip report if you go there.

· U.S. Scuba Center, 515 S. Rochester Road, Rochester Hills, (248) 650-9500; hours Monday Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

These guys rock!! My favorite shop in Michigan.
· Sea the World Scuba Center, 29480 W. 10 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, (248) 478-6400 hours Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, gone diving.

I'm looking forward to stopping at Divers Den. I have a covert side mission while I am there. Nothing like 2 birds with 1 stone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom