Stoney Lake in Oxford, MI.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so you know, that site is Cold Water Dave's one of the GLWC's regulars.

Paula

yup yup. found it in another thread here... but thought it might be helpful to the discussion :>

I'm looking forward to stopping at Divers Den. I have a covert side mission while I am there. Nothing like 2 birds with 1 stone.

Well 2 outs three aint bad! lol Cant blame a girl for tryin! :D

I did my first two check-out dives at Stony Lake in Oxford way back in "82". They use to have an old heating oil drum cut in half with a platform hanging from it in 20 ft of water or so and you could kneel on the platform and stick your head into the air pocket and talk to your buddy. The bottom was sandy by the entrance but once you got out a ways it became silty like most other inland lakes. I haven't dove there since 83 or 84 mainly because I was told it was sold for condo developement and was closed to the public.

I am diving with the club out of Divers Den tomorrow night out at the St. Clair river. Ive got to stop in tomorrow at the shop for air fills. I'll talk with Dave tomorrow about diving at Stony Lake. I already printed out the depth map of the lake and maybe he can point out where the best diving is at and were things are located. So, is it this Friday at 6:30pm? Since I will be diving tomorrow night, will have to get tanks filled on Thursday if thats the case.

Originally Posted by Merrimorte
They went out of business awhile ago.
· Underwater Outfitters, 2579 Union Lake Road, Commerce Township, (248) 363-2224; hours Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

This place looks awesome!! Do a trip report if you go there.

U.S. Scuba is a really nice looking place. However, they are big $$$. All the diving they do is to exotic locations (warm water). I took my open water at this shop. The owners and instructors knew nothing of diving in Michigan and were no help at all. Everything I got from them was a sales push for their big dollar mechandise and push to book travel with them. If your into only warm water diving, this is a great place. Not a good resource for local diving. Thats why I hooked up with the club out of Divers Den.

· U.S. Scuba Center, 515 S. Rochester Road, Rochester Hills, (248) 650-9500; hours Monday Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

These guys rock!! My favorite shop in Michigan.
· Sea the World Scuba Center, 29480 W. 10 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, (248) 478-6400 hours Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, gone diving.

I'm open this weekend, as well as next Tuesday or pretty much any day during the week next week. I could possibly go on Friday.

I can be at the lake by 6:00 during the week, easy.

I gotta get my gear wet! It's dryin' out man! (Plus I got some new fins and boots to try out. :D )

I'm open this weekend, as well as next Tuesday or pretty much any day during the week next week. I could possibly go on Friday.

I can be at the lake by 6:00 during the week, easy.

I gotta get my gear wet! It's dryin' out man! (Plus I got some new fins and boots to try out. :D )

Sounds cool will have to set something up!

Ok... Bad news... But first the story...

I was going to dive the St. Clair River today with the dive club. That dive ended up getting cancelled. So, I still stopped at Divers Den and talked with Dave about Stony Lake. It ended up that he was taking out an open water class tonight. So I was able to tag along. Not a bad lake. Visibility above the thermocline was about 7 to 8 feet. The thermocline was at 20 feet. Below the thermocline visibility dropped really quick. I couldn't see my buddy right next to me. And the water below the thermocline was very cold. I was wearing a 3/2 mm suit and couldn't stay below the thermocline for extended time. There is a bunch of small boats and stuff sunk out in the lake at depths of 12 to 18 feet. Was a nice dive for tonight.

Ok, now the bad news. I talked to Dave about the park. The park is only open to township residents. Non-residents are not allowed in the park. According to Dave, the park only allows non-township residents in for parties put on by township residents. Then they are supposedly not allowed in the beach area. I was only able to get in because I was part of Dave's dive class tonight.

So, does anyone know of a local lake we would have access to dive in? Merri... wanna set up a time and date to dive otter lake? Any other ideas?

Ok... Bad news... But first the story...

I was going to dive the St. Clair River today with the dive club. That dive ended up getting cancelled. So, I still stopped at Divers Den and talked with Dave about Stony Lake. It ended up that he was taking out an open water class tonight. So I was able to tag along. Not a bad lake. Visibility above the thermocline was about 7 to 8 feet. The thermocline was at 20 feet. Below the thermocline visibility dropped really quick. I couldn't see my buddy right next to me. And the water below the thermocline was very cold. I was wearing a 3/2 mm suit and couldn't stay below the thermocline for extended time. There is a bunch of small boats and stuff sunk out in the lake at depths of 12 to 18 feet. Was a nice dive for tonight.

Ok, now the bad news. I talked to Dave about the park. The park is only open to township residents. Non-residents are not allowed in the park. According to Dave, the park only allows non-township residents in for parties put on by township residents. Then they are supposedly not allowed in the beach area. I was only able to get in because I was part of Dave's dive class tonight.

So, does anyone know of a local lake we would have access to dive in? Merri... wanna set up a time and date to dive otter lake? Any other ideas?

Yeah Otter Sounds cool. Want to go back out there.

Diving somewhere with Tiggrr on Friday... Still in the plan making stages though as far as times etc... Got Mon Off so that is completely open.. or tues afternoon (work til 330p) Or if ScottTee wants to dive Otter perhaps Sat?

How about this weekend? Maybe Saturday, tentatively?

Might be able to do Sat Afternoon... Have to work until 2p though. so sometime after 330ish? Got any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom