Storing lobsters in your refrigerator...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget - no tailing of lobsters any more in Cali. except for immediate consumption (CCR T14, Section 29.90(e)).

That pretty much leaves freezing whole, or keeping them cool but not too cold under a moist towel or newspaper, unless you happen to have a live tank. The meat seems to go downhill very quickly once they die. The blood/juice also turns the meat black, which seems to be more of a visual than taste issue.

My understanding is that, once a lobster dies, the concern is not so much about bacterial growth becoming harmful to us if and when we consume it as that the lobster's digestive tract enzymes start to decompose its own flesh, turning it mushy rather rapidly. The advice I've adhered to is to either cook it live (or, at most, within a couple of hours of death) or freeze it.

We brought back live lobster from Maine in a styrofoam cooler. Ice on the bottom, a very thick layer of newspaper, and then the lobsters. They lived for a couple of days before they were cooked live. The critical thing is to make sure they do not contact any water from the ice - it kills them almost instantly.

We brought back live lobster from Maine in a styrofoam cooler. Ice on the bottom, a very thick layer of newspaper, and then the lobsters. They lived for a couple of days before they were cooked live. The critical thing is to make sure they do not contact any water from the ice - it kills them almost instantly.
I think the non-contact with the ice water is critical. I have often purchased lobsters from the Asian store any brought them home in a paper bag. They do fine for a day, even two before cooking, although I prefer o buy them the day of cooking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom