stowing spools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been carrying spools with me on dives for a while now in case I should need to fire an SMB on an OW dive but spools serve different uses to cave divers and in the past I have had issues with the double enders on my spools coming undone in a pocket and thus allowing the line to unreel. in OW this has yet to be to big of an issue as I dont normally use the spools and if I do I have time to figure things out plus I rarely use the pockets so I limit chances of the snaps coming open.

In the cave classes I expect to be reaching into pockets all the time increasing the risk of that double ender coming loose. is there a better technique or place to stow a spool to remove this issue all together. I new to the whole cave thing so sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks

Your cave instructor will let you know what he/she considers optimum. Depending on type of spool and how you use them I'm having a hard time imagining how they are coming unraveled. I've yet to have one do that to me in a pocket or otherwise. How are you securing the free end? In ow I carry one or two clipped off to my bryden buckle. I've also carried them on the butt d ring. But pocket works best clipped off to the bungee cord in the pocket.

The only stupid ? is the one you don't ask that gets you in trouble.

Anyone that says different is making a stupid statement.

I'm guessing you don't have enough line on your spools. My spools have sufficient amount of line that I have to squeeze my double ender onto the spool. This keeps it stationary on the spool preventing it from coming off. I also clip from the inside of the spool towards the outside.

While on the subject of spools, how many are carried in the course of a Cavern and intro Cave class.

For the double ender coming off the line in my pocket, it happened to me once. Now I try to pull the line with the hook before putting it in the farthest hole possible on the spool, so far so good...

I'm guessing you don't have enough line on your spools. My spools have sufficient amount of line that I have to squeeze my double ender onto the spool. This keeps it stationary on the spool preventing it from coming off. I also clip from the inside of the spool towards the outside.

I rig my spools the same way and I've never had a double ender accidentally come off.

all my spools are dive rite's an 2 are the large ones with 125' line. Those are the only ones I have dove with but the smaller spools have only 100' of line and the line fills out the spool more in comparison. I got the big spools for my cold water diving with 7mm gloves. theos big ones dont fit well in a pocket though which could be part of the problem.

As far as numbers go I was told I didn't have to supply any for the class but I intend to bring 2 for my trip or maybe all 4 but thats alot of spools and for a full cave cert I dont expect to need that many, am I wrong.

To date I have recovered 8 spools in caves due to double ender failure,and most of these were returned to their embarrassed owner since they didn't realize they lost their safety reel. There is a way to use an o-ring to secure the spool side of the bolt snap from opening up,and the o-ring will break on deployment.

karstdvr, pictures?

I've had spools come off the double-ender in my pocket and unreel. It's annoying and embarrassing at best. I clip from inside to outside, but unlike what was written above, I've had the most problems with spools which are too full, so it's hard to get the gate through the hole and get it closed.

To date I have recovered 8 spools in caves due to double ender failure,and most of these were returned to their embarrassed owner since they didn't realize they lost their safety reel. There is a way to use an o-ring to secure the spool side of the bolt snap from opening up,and the o-ring will break on deployment.

Can you point to a diagram about how to do this?
I've been carrying a spool on my hip dring for the last 200 dives and never had it release accidentally until this weekend.
Afte I jumped in the boat crew advised that my spool was floating behind me.
I couldn't believe the tangle I was in. It took a good few minutes to reel in and untangle from the hoses the line had wrapped around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom