strange octopus behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
When you find an Octopus, very slowly move towards it and maintain slow breathing and good buoyancy. Sudden movement or a blast of bubbles will scare them. Then, ever so slowly put your hand close enough that it can feel the heat from your hand (Maybe 6 inches or so). Once it feels your heat it will place one tentacle on your hand and test you out. Over the course of a few minutes it may then put more tentacles on you and eventually come out and attach itself to your arm. It does this to absorb your body heat and is also showing its trust at this point. Once it does this, you own it and can play with it until it grows bored and swims off.

I have seen this a couple of times and watched as it was passed from person to person.
Ever try this with a GPO? The ones I've seen, I wouldn't want that friendly.

JeffG:
Ever try this with a GPO? The ones I've seen, I wouldn't want that friendly.

I approached one once and it immediately turned white and started doing push-ups. We decided that discretion would be the better part of valour.

doole:
I approached one once and it immediately turned white and started doing push-ups. We decided that discretion would be the better part of valour.
We found one at Ogdin Pt a couple of years ago. Probably ~10ft tip to tip. He didn't seem to be bothered by us, but we probably interrupted his hunting. We hung above him and watched him. After a while he meandered away and we let him. Maybe other divers would of tried to play with him, but not us. I was happy enough just watching.

This thread is getting a lot more action that the Odd" Male Diver Behavior thread, and I guess that's good. :14:

Saw a video of a guy who got too close to one for its comfort and it grabbed onto his mask and a rock. After alot of messing around the diver took off the mask and the octopus let go. It was off Vancouver. Very cool.

A friend of mine at the Camden Aquarium said they have been watching their octopus perfrom the jar trick. They are putting a shrimp into a mason jar, then screwing the lid on. Apparently, the octopus is smart enough to actually unscrew the lid of the jar. I'm looking forward to seeing this in person - it sounds awesome.

RiotNrrd

doole:
I might urge folks not to feed fish with dog food. Do you feed your dog fish food?

Seriously, food made from land mammals will often cause liver damage in marine animals. They're just not built to digest it.

Actually, I feed my dog just about anything.
But your point is well taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom