strobe,beacon or light to help get back to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saintsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
your boat,just thinking that a strobe underwater or something would maybe help with finding it for the navigationally challenged.Of course its not for me,its for uhhh, my friend. does anyone make one or is it a lame idea.

You can buy them. One of the live-aboards I was on recently in Thailand tied one off on the anchor line during the night dives. I also wear one on night dives, just in case. Haven't needed to use it yet, but it's comforting to know that I can light up like a 747 if I want to be noticed. :D

I find them annoying on night dives. Not a bad idea to carry one on your person though should you find yourself stranded on the surface at night to help in SAR. Just leave it turned off and clipped off in your pocket as an emergency item.

Glowsticks (or an electric equivalent to be a bit more environmentally friendly) make good anchor chain markers. Just make sure it's okay with the captain to tie something to his anchor chain!

We commonly use strobes to mark our water entry points. The flash carries pretty far, and you can often hear it even further. I wouldn't use one to mark a deco or safety stop, as divers have to sit there with the thing discharging in their faces for prolonged periods. Likewise don't stick one on your BC as a signal light, unless you hate your buddy.

Some boats and divers use those beacon system things. A transponder is strung from the boat, and a wrist mounted receiver determines direction and proximity. I believe there are several different models out... none cheap. If the prices get reasonable I would definitely get one for my survey classes. We tend to rove (and get lost).

I have one that I will use sometimes to mark the ascent line in limited visibility. In my experience, a strobe will almost double the distance at which you could otherwise see the upline in dark/murky conditions. It gives you a slightly larger target to hit when navigating back to the ascent line.

Any idea where I can purchase one, i want something brighter than a glowstick,any other suggestions.

Good heavens, you should be able to get a small dive strobe at any dive shop. LeisurePro stocks several different varieties. These things aren't in any way difficult to find or order.

archman:
Good heavens, you should be able to get a small dive strobe at any dive shop. LeisurePro stocks several different varieties. These things aren't in any way difficult to find or order.
I have never seen anything that even remotely resembles a strobe other than the tank light led's,to tell you the truth I haven't looked real hard.now that I know that other people use them and they work I will start looking,thats what this board is for among other things, correct??

Back
Top Bottom