Strobe pointing tips needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hutchel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nikon D80 and dual strobes (DS125 and DS160) and find that I am not being very successful in getting all three lined up to intersect my subject on a reliable basis. I was wondering what solutions everyone has tried to add "pointer" lights/ lasers/ etc to serve as setup tools - It's easier at night since the modeling lights can be turned on - but even that is challenging to get them lined up with what the camera lens is looking at.

So I was thinking of adding 3 small lasers - this is only a real problem for shots of a subject less than 3 feet away - or small pencil beam lights. I'd want something that wouldn't leave a trace in the resulting picture (turning off the pointers would be a pain). So a small pencil led light might make more sense.

thoughts/ comments?

Lee

hutchinsel's photosets on Flickr

For macro shooting (less than 3 feet away) you should have absolutely no problems with the strobes. Put them both on short arms, behind the port and aimed at 45 degrees or so to intersect in front of the port. Make sure that your diffusers are on; there should be no issue then.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom