Strobe triggers for Sony Mirrorless Short Write up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Following an inquiry from I decided to produce a short write up illustrating my thinking process and why I got a manual turtle trigger for my A1

Underwater Strobe Triggers for Sony cameras
Great review. Thank you. I have a Nauticam trigger but was interested in either UWT or Turtle for some TTL action (for pelagics that move quickly and I never have time to adjust strobes quickly enough like the mantas) and also partially as a backup trigger because I’m so worst case scenario. I have a A7RV so it looks like mechanical shutter only. It looks like it is also compatible with the YS-D3 MKII (1 of my D2s died last year).

Great review. Thank you. I have a Nauticam trigger but was interested in either UWT or Turtle for some TTL action (for pelagics that move quickly and I never have time to adjust strobes quickly enough like the mantas) and also partially as a backup trigger because I’m so worst case scenario. I have a A7RV so it looks like mechanical shutter only. It looks like it is also compatible with the YS-D3 MKII (1 of my D2s died last year).
Mantas move slow and sharks as well (otherwise you are in trouble)
TTL will look at the entire frame and you may clip the white parts of a manta or shark hence better to shoot in manual

The Turtle TTL trigger works and so does the UWT there is a price difference and some others but both products will work fine

This depends on the camera and specific settings. At least on Sony, you can use spot metering, including meter and recompose.
When you shoot with flash any camera defaults to centered weighted average. This has been the case since many years. If sony has made some advance there we need to see but I doubt it very much

Mantas move slow and sharks as well (otherwise you are in trouble)
TTL will look at the entire frame and you may clip the white parts of a manta or shark hence better to shoot in manual

The Turtle TTL trigger works and so does the UWT there is a price difference and some others but both products will work fine
Mantas generally move slow enough until they’re right above you, then far away again, and then right above you again. In high current areas, dealing with a reef hook, and managing the camera it seems like it would be convenient. I’ve had a lot of blown out manta shots. Maybe I’m doing it wrong or they’re teasing me. Or both.

Mantas generally move slow enough until they’re right above you, then far away again, and then right above you again. In high current areas, dealing with a reef hook, and managing the camera it seems like it would be convenient. I’ve had a lot of blown out manta shots. Maybe I’m doing it wrong or they’re teasing me. Or both.
I have no issues with mantas and they are fairly big not easy to blow them once you set the power you are done but again I do not shoot TTL
If you want ttl there is a trigger will it help your use case? I am not sure

When you shoot with flash any camera defaults to centered weighted average. This has been the case since many years. If sony has made some advance there we need to see but I doubt it very much

1677492629037.png

Also Help Guide | FEL Lock

View attachment 771875

Also Help Guide | FEL Lock
this is the normal metering but it does not say anything about what the flash does in fact the flash is called fill flash. You don't fill a spot normally

With static subject on a tripod you know what is going to be on the spot before and after with moving targets this is undetermined. Only Nikon publishes clear information to say they support spot metering with their own flashes. All others only do evaluative or centere weighted

I have not tried with my A1 because for me TTL is not an approach valid for any photography however it is relatively easy to see if this makes any difference or not if anyone has a TTL flash

I would say the chances of this working correctly with moving targerts underwater are very very low

this is the normal metering but it does not say anything about what the flash does in fact the flash is called fill flash. You don't fill a spot normally
I shot with TTL-only strobes for a couple years, and I could definitely tell the difference between spot metering (making sure the foreground subject is in the center of the frame) and multi metering. I'm going on a liveaboard next week, will give TTL another try just to see what it's like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom