Strong fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas,

If you want real power and the ability to perform any kick style with a near neutral fin, I would go with the Dive Rite XTs. These fins are about as bad as they come and do not come near the highest price point. They are truly incredible and you will move like you wouldn't believe. They are based on the old Apollo Fin mold that everyone loved so much and the new buckle is marine grade stainless. So far as vents, they have huge channels on the bottom with cause massive flow to be forced through. I was skeptical about the amazing accolades too until I strapped them on, and Lamar did something very right with them.
Here's a link to show them: XT Fins

Tamas the test you linked to was done back in 2000 and is 15 years old. The Apollo Biofins they mention are the same as the Dive Rites. Dive Rite purchased the molds from Apollo when Apollo went with split fins. There was a thread a while back talking about the Mares Power Plana, from what I remember people liked that fin. It was made out of rubber like a jet but worked better.

Mares Avanti Quattro gets my vote if your looking for shear power with reasonable cost, size, and weight. They are built bullet proof and can take a beating, mine are 5 years old to me (were purchased used) and are still in perfect condition. I wear mine when diving in strong currents and have never been let down.

I own force fin pros and have tried classic jetfins but always tend to reach for my quattros in most conditions, they really do move a ton of water with each kick. I beach dive a lot and regularly deal with currents and found that no matter how fast I kicked with the force fins I don't get the propulsion I need. The rate I have to kick at with the force fin pros in strong currents really gets tiring and the lack of thrust becomes painfully evident. In fresh water and calm ocean dives they are fun though.... but any signs of a rough dive or reports of currents I swap to my quattros.

I was going to suggest a pair of Force Fin Extras - there is a pair for sale on ebay now, with whiskers. If you want high thrust fins - these are outstanding. Just ask Dan Volker about them.

May I suggest a set of Mares Superchannels?...Strong, light, easy on the legs, and work well in current. Do all kicks ( thats about technique, not always the fin), and pack pretty well.

They WILL give you back exactly what you put into them. May wanna try a pair... jmo.

Bubs

Hi - The ABS mares Quatros open heel fins are a bit stiffer than the Quatro + (plus). The original Quatros that were made in Italy are softer again than the Avanti +. I have used all these fins as well as Turtle jetfins, Atomic splits (both OK: comfortable but slow and not as powerful and the split fins don't offer as much control) and have tried a lot of others recently including slingshots, scubpro split jets etc. Quatro + are my choice and for me are faster, more efficient and offer greater control than any other fins I have tried. The ABS are a little too stiff in the cooler waters where I mostly dive but would probably be good in very warm water, but I think I would prefer the avanti +.

I really like and use the Quattro +, although I actually prefer the ABS buckles to the new bungee system for comfort (that is just me - I expect many would prefer the bungee). Have used avantis all over the place - from -1.5 C in the Antarctic to Canada to tropics with water 30 C+. The ABS I find a bit stiff. The originals are just about perfect but perhaps a bit floppy in really warm water. The Avanti + are great and would be my choice. I am pretty big and push a lot of camera gear around, often use a drysuit and doubles or rebreather with bailout bottles, and do a fair bit of diving and swimming so like powerful fins. Avantis have great high speed for current and are good for turning and fin movements as well (important for photography).

There is a reason why avantis are so popular with dive guides. They just work really well and are very robust. I have a pair that has done over 900 dives and they are still going strong with the same ABS buckles.

With fins it is definitly worth trying before buying, and especially before going on a trip, to make sure they work for you. Individual preferences vary a lot with fins. People seem to really like fins that I think are totally useless (eg scubapro splits or mares volos). I think it depends a lot on diver size, leg strength, fitness, where they dive and what they do while diving, so impossible to say that this fin will work for you.

Without reading the topic lately I picked the Superchannels because it is getting as good reviews as the quattro:)

Thanks for all contribution to everyone.
May I suggest a set of Mares Superchannels?...Strong, light, easy on the legs, and work well in current. Do all kicks ( thats about technique, not always the fin), and pack pretty well.

They WILL give you back exactly what you put into them. May wanna try a pair... jmo.

Bubs

I use Quattros 99% of the time. When I'm in currents I use SP Seawing Novas. You seem to have a bias against the Novas so I'd reccomend the Quattros. I absolutely love mine.

I tried some Force Fins once and couldn't sell them fast enough. However, there does seem to be a group of divers who like them, but I guess that could be said for just about all fins.

Back
Top Bottom