Stupid things new divers do...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allowing a student to accumulate skills this quickly shows an outrageous, indeed unforgiveable lack appreciation for our business model. Not one of these exceeds-minimal skills can possibly be sanctioned, indeed should never have been attempted, without completion of the appropriate classes :no:

Profits police: arrest this man's instructor!

Did I mention that this diver BOUGHT all the gear in the photo?

I'm just sayin...

:D

Did I mention that this diver BOUGHT all the gear in the photo?

I'm just sayin...

:D

Same here. Had already ordered and paid for everything (except the tank) before my first dive. Sure wish I had an instructor to teach me the right things from day one then but I guess I'm ok with how everything turned out in the end.

Wow, I wish I did as well so quickly. I think I do better than almost every diver I've seen underwater, excluding the odd pro. Still I don't have a workable frog kick yet. I wonder if I should drum up an instructor for buoyancy and frog kick stuff before I take cave 1 or should I expect to learn it in the class? I'd ask the instructor but he's out for a while due to some family stuff.

Too bad we don't all get guys like RJP as instructors. I think extremely highly of my OW instructor, but there's no denying I didn't look anything like that diver in the photo after OW cert.

I wouldn't suggest going anywhere near a cave/cavern class until I had buoyancy, trim, and propulsion dialed in tight. Waste of your time and money to have a Cave instructor spend time on basics. Seriously. Not a slam on you or anything, but there's plenty of stuff you need a cave instructor to work with you on. There's gotta be someone around you that can work with you down there.

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

Too bad we don't all get guys like RJP as instructors. I think extremely highly of my OW instructor, but there's no denying I didn't look anything like that diver in the photo after OW cert.

PS - not my student. But I was trained by the same instructor who DID train the pictured student. (Wayne Fisch, of DiveSeekers.com and The Scuba Connection here in NJ.)

Last edited:
Wow, I wish I did as well so quickly. I think I do better than almost every diver I've seen underwater, excluding the odd pro. Still I don't have a workable frog kick yet. I wonder if I should drum up an instructor for buoyancy and frog kick stuff before I take cave 1 or should I expect to learn it in the class? I'd ask the instructor but he's out for a while due to some family stuff.

Not trying to insult you here, just some advice. I think you should have a couple of things dialed in prior to cave training. Buoyancy is of utmost importance and proper finnig techniques are right behind that. I do not know about all the cave instructors, but I do know that mine made us do a check out dive while running line in a shallow basin before she ever even considered letting us go near a cavern.

My buddy and myself spent several months training ourselves with some basic skills. When we did wreck dives, we were out in the sand practicing our perfect bouyany, trim, and frog kick while staying mere inches off the bottom. It was easy to tell if we screwed up as the sand would give us away instantly. When we felt that we were ready, then we did the same thing while running line all over the place.

There is a lot to learn in cave class and you should not need to be concentrating too much on the basics, it will go much smoother if you can do them by instinct and naturally.

I had a lot of basics to learn all over again. My OW training did nothing to teach me about proper trim and being horizontal in the water felt very uncomfortable.

My personal feeling is that you shouldn't try to learn in a cave, anything you can learn in open water.

Where you are, kelemvor, it shouldn't be hard to find somebody who can work with you on buoyancy, trim, and non-silting propulsion in open water.

Allowing a student to accumulate skills this quickly shows an outrageous, indeed unforgiveable lack appreciation for our business model. Not one of these exceeds-minimal skills can possibly be sanctioned, indeed should never have been attempted, without completion of the appropriate classes :no:

Profits police: arrest this man's instructor!

No one tried to sell him a jacket style BCD with 10 lbs of buoyant padding, an air integrated computer with 4 transmitters for all of his buddies, or one of those annoying rattle sticks!!!? What is this madness!? :wink:

(Seriously though, that's great!)

Excellent! I blame RJP for polluting him with ScubaBoard karma.
In related news, I have reported his instructor to PADI, NAUI, GUE, the NSA, and KFC for such blatant standards violations!

Oh shyte! I know that diver. Netdoc's been reported again...such sedition I tell you.

...and I thought Area 51 contained a 'dry' lake bed, those Colorado floods apparently had wide ranging effects out west.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom