Successful Seasickness Prevention Medication Combination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very timely Thread!

How do all those meds go w/ SCUBA diving?

We have a group doing Socorro ( 25 hour + voyage ) in Nov. I always interested in new ways to handle seasickness.

You probably already know this but the active ingredient in Bonine is meclizine 25 mg. If the brand name Bonine is not available, is meclizine perhaps available under another name? Alternatively, is it still available by prescription. Even then, in the US, its inexpensive but would mean a doctors visit unless you have an appt coming up and just ask for a script then.

it's a Health Canada thing. From what I found online they was a supplier issue and was taken off the market.

Very timely Thread!

We have a group doing Socorro ( 25 hour + voyage ) in Nov. I always interested in new ways to handle seasickness.

Beaverdivers, most of the drugs mentioned (meclizine, promethazine, scopalamine, dimenhydrinate) are primarily antihistamines/anticholinergics and to various degrees can cause sedation. This is the main side-effect that concerns most divers. These drugs are commonly used to prevent motion sickness.

The pseudoephedrine mentioned by the OP can at least theoretically increase the risk of oxygen toxicity. There are several threads on SB discussing this. It is not a medication for motion sickness but rather the OP is using it to combat the sedation effect of the other drugs.

Zofran (ondansetron) is a wonderful drug for nausea but I am not aware of any true motion sickness benefit from it. It is a selective serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonist that works by blocking serotonin in the brain, a chemical that may trigger vomiting. It was original used for the severe nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy. Now used for many problems associated with nausea

Zofran, scopolamine and phenergan are prescription only in the US.

As with all medications, try it on land several times to see how it effects you before using prior to dives...

After years of trying various medications, I found the following combination to be completely successful at preventing seasickness without side-effects of drowsiness:
Transderm scopolamine (1.5mg) patch, applied the evening before embarkation;
plus Promethazine 25mg (aka Phenergan), take 1 tablet the evening before and then 1 tablet 1 hour before embarkation;
plus Pseudoephadrine HCl 60mg (aka Sudafed, NOT Phenylephrine), take 1 dosage 1 hour before embarkation to counteract narcotic effect of Promethazine.
...//...

AFAIK, there is only one true fix: [Clinical and experimenta... [Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI and they aren't telling what it contains. :(

I'm thinking that you got close. I get seasick rather easily, especially with side-to-side rollers. The scop patch alone is close but no guarantee. I'll let you know...

Thanks!

I usually took down gravol pills but one day forgot to take them and the dive shop sold me a box of Bonine. Worked great and no drowsiness! Only issue is for some odd reason they don't sell Bonine in Canada! Going to have to give one of the internet pharmacies a go, found a place that sells them 60pils for $12! I paid $10 for 12 at the dive shop.

The first day out on the boat I was retching over the side and the seas weren't that bad. My wife was never hot on the live-aboard idea and given me and my son's seasickness maybe sketch that idea for good.

Amazon has a bottle of 100 for $6 under the name Meclizine. I think I misspelled it in previous post.

Amazon.com: Meclizine Chewable Tablets - 25mg - Model 85207 - Btl of 100: Health & Personal Care

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

Very timely Thread!

Allows me to get on a boat and function. If I'm seasick, I love the dive but hate the boat. With the meds, I enjoy the entire day!

What works for some people... doesn't work for others.

Unfortunately there will never be a 'cure' for seasickness that works for everyone. I haven't suffered from motion sickness since I was a kid however at that time, Mum used to give the kids a 'standard' pill and have everyone sucking on boiled sweets.

Popping the pill just before you get aboard is about 2hrs too late for many people.

Be careful with Phenergan. For a lot of people, it's VERY sedating.

I've found that taking 2 original formula dramamine before bed with at least 16 oz of water, then 2 bonine at least an hour before you sail with more water, works every time. Dramamine and Bonine work in different ways and the combination is very effective.

I realize it is anecdotal but anyone I have recommended this method to has completely eliminated sea sickness for them...

This isn't progressing smoothly. Called my doc's office for a Phenergan Rx. Got my fav front office official calling me (laughing) and telling me that I just don't get Phenergan over the phone.

The doc needs to TALK to me. (as in In person) I mean what the hell, the last time I was sick, a dose of Paregoric fixed me right up. OK, so that was quite a while ago, but still...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom