Sudafed and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Taking the word of one doctor over the recommendations of the scuba agencies is short-sighted. Where do you think the scuba agencies get the information from which to make their recommendations?"

My first guess would be their lawyers.

Sadly I'm not having as much trouble avoiding youth as I used to do.

That said, I've quit taking Sudafed when I dive unless it is a dire circumstance. When I was a newer diver I took only the12 hour never regular because of reverse block. As I became more skilled, I noticed that I often frlt more than odd at depth. Somewhere around that time it occurred to me that I had become much better at equalizing and had ZERO need for Sudafed. Now it is extremely rare for me to feel the need for a decongestant . . .but I'm not saying I NEVER take one anymore only that I avoid it as best I can . . . You choose but if you choose to take Remember . . .12 hour dose not regular !

Last edited:
I dive occasionally with a former Navy DMT. He doesnt have issues with using sudafed to clear congestion prior to diving, however he did give me a valid alternative a few years back. If you can still breath through your nose but have difficulties equalizing, He suggested Afrin. Its a local drug, which oopens up the airway and helps equalization without having full body effects on most people. I use it regularly these days, especially in the spring months here in Virginia...where everyones car turns yellow or green from the pollen for about 3 months out of the year.

There may be lots of reasons to not use Psudoephidrine while diving but without it I couldn't dive so I use it and have for 30 years.
Sudafed is a brand that was originally named for the drug, but is now used on other meds. Psudoephidrine is the one that works, but some of the others by the same name are nearly worthless. Psudoephidrine has become difficult to purchase, stocked behind the counter, less competition and higher prices all because meth makes use it in their work so laws have been passed to control it. In some states you have to have a doctor's script.

Since your doctor recommended it, try it. Take it on land to make sure you don't have any problems. I keep a large supply in stock at home and average 60 mg twice a day, every day. It can certainly make clearing easier.

Long term use of decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin is not recommended. All you have to do is read the box. 4 days maximum or you can get rebound congestion. I use them for an occasional or weekend dive. For a longer trip, prescribed steroidal sprays are a better choice, but have to be started weeks before the trip.

Anyone using pseudoephedrine HCl at 60mg twice a day, every day is seriously overdosing and playing with fire. The word "addiction" comes to mind.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long term use of decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin is not recommended. All you have to do is read the box. 4 days maximum or you can get rebound congestion. I use them for an occasional or weekend dive. For a longer trip, prescribed steroidal sprays are a better choice, but have to be started weeks before the trip.

Anyone using pseudoephedrine HCl at 60mg twice a day, every day is seriously overdosing and playing with fire. The word "addiction" comes to mind.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll pardon your typos, but not your false claims.

There are major differences between the two drugs. Afrin should not be used more than 3 days according to this: Afrin Sinus nasl : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

I know of no such published warnings for pseudoephedrine, and I doubt that there are any.

The other caviat to the Afrin warnings is that is is assuming around the clock use for 3 days... I use it 20min prior to the first dive of the day if I feel it is nessecary, but not "all the time" or "Long term".

The only thing I dont like about the Afrin is the initial sinus burn and the damn taste. Other than that, It works great.

Calling DrMike! He probably hasn't seen this thread yet, though this is one of those that comes up every year or so.... still he'd be a good one to comment "off the record".

On the record, +1 for sudafed for me, though typically only in the allergy season...Afrin - be careful of that stuff. Your body really gets used to needing it. When I was flying for UncleSams circus, we carried it religiously, but only used it in emergency situations. Hate the taste tho....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom