Suggestions for DEMA organizers for a better show!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem to me that DEMA (professionals only) and BTS (consumers) would have very different goals and objectives. Being the skeptic, the former is scheming on how to take me for all I'm worth, the latter is presenting me with all the tantalizing choices to take me for all I'm worth.

Maybe that's why I don't do well at DEMA. I don't want your net worth, just my share. :)

Frankly it seems as of one of the biggest issues is that there is no clearly communicated strategy for having the meeting in the first place. DEMA has "hold a show" as one of its objectives.

Having an annual trade show is not an objective. It's a tactic. But what's the strategy behind having a DEMA show?

Objectives inform strategies. Strategies inform tactics.

With no strategy... it's impossible for anyone to provide meaningful advice on "what can DEMA do better?"

One of the most important marketing lessons comes from the Cheshire Cat in Lewis Carrol's' Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Alice.jpg

If we (they) don't know what they're trying to do... how can we offer advice on how to do it better?

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

I encourage you to make suggestions and have at it. I hope the show fails terribly and like a Phoenix, a better event rises from the ashes. Until then, I will merely complain and continue to attend, because it's better then nothing, but a lot more expensive. I'm sorry I can't be more positive.

Sometimes you need to break a bone before you can reset it.

It doesn't need to fail first, though.

Having given this a lot of thought, I wonder if DEMA works perfectly for someone, and we just aren't sure who the someone is.

Having given this a lot of thought, I wonder if DEMA works perfectly for someone, and we just aren't sure who the someone is.

990/PART- VIII, Section 1a
11 - Thomas Ingram, $140,550
12 - Colleen Vasquez, $114,487

I guess I have a little work ahead of me but I will now share more suggestions of how the show can be improved. Perhaps this will get others to add their thoughts.

On the order of organization and exposure of new products. We know that most attendees/ store owners and purchasers are there to see new products.
So why is it that most feel that the show present little in this regard. Is it because there really aren't that many new products. Or is it primarily that those new products have been minimized and obscured by the way the show has executed their show. One of their main goals should be in this department " "EXPOSING NEW PRODUCTS". Making attendees feel that they are well aware of what new items are there at the show.

Here is a thought instead of some of those seminars they could have speakers from certain booths come up for a brief period introduce themselves and present a short summary demo of what new products they have to offer. This would alert some to visit the booth and get more detailed info on the interested products. After all that is what they came for, is it not???

The show case area that exhibitors pay for was a complete joke! The area that it was situated was in a dead area and had very little traffic, that was the main reason why I did not pay for it. I suggest that if they are going to have an area designated for the new products show case , it must be placed in the middle of the show, with high visibility and traffic.More so, they can take it a step further and give those exhibitor a chance to speak to the crowd I am sure that a venue of this sort would both impress both buyers and sellers.The sellers enthusiasm and energy can help generate interest in the show. If the seller can't sell his own product and be convincing then he deserves to fail in my book.But at least he should be given a shot at it!!!

I wrote earlier about having DEMA implement fun things at the show. Its little things here and there that can make people have a good time. Some music, food, drink and mix it in with lots of laughs and smiles. Here is our effort at bringing some smiles at that last show. My partner Brandon and his wife went out and greeted attendees. Rebecca is a Brazilian samba instructor. She wore here a Carnival Samba feather head dress.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

We had a lot of people take pictures with them. We feel we helped bring a cheerful note to the show. We were hoping that more can also think of fun things to add, as it makes the show a fun experience as well.

The reason why there aren't new products is the LDS's want the gear for Black Friday at the latest in order to have them for holiday shopping. Most manufacturers that announce something new at DEMA aren't going to have availability until the next year. So they announce everything earlier, the reps make the rounds, and there's nothing new by the time the show rolls around.

The new product showcase is a joke. No photos? Yes, because allowing people to promote the new products would be a terrible thing.

Want to have seminars about your gear? Pretty sure that's already available for a fee.

DEMA is responsible for handling the venue and ticketing, beyond that the show floor is up to the exhibitors. To try to get DEMA to encourage fun on the floor is unlikely to get a reaction from DEMA. Maybe find out who is in your neighborhood, contact them early, and have a block party.

For several years DEMA has had their 2020 sessions where they solicit feedback from members of the crowd that they can try to implement. I think I've been going to at least one a year since they started. Until this year, they all covered the exact same topics. The only thing I've seen (almost) implemented out of a 2020 session was the consumer show. But all of the West Coasters complained that it was in Florida so much that DEMA said screw it. Having seen the show virtually unchanged since my first show in 1999 or 2000, while the idea of getting DEMA to change things is a good one, I really just don't see it happening. That's not how DEMA works unfortunately.

Reactions: RJP
DEMA is responsible for handling the venue and ticketing, beyond that the show floor is up to the exhibitors. To try to get DEMA to encourage fun on the floor is unlikely to get a reaction from DEMA. Maybe find out who is in your neighborhood, contact them early, and have a block party.

Now that seems like a reasonable idea!! Thanks!

I wrote earlier about having DEMA implement fun things at the show. Its little things here and there that can make people have a good time. Some music, food, drink and mix it in with lots of laughs and smiles. Here is our effort at bringing some smiles at that last show. My partner Brandon and his wife went out and greeted attendees. Rebecca is a Brazilian samba instructor. She wore here a Carnival Samba feather head dress.
View attachment 198480View attachment 198481

We had a lot of people take pictures with them. We feel we helped bring a cheerful note to the show. We were hoping that more can also think of fun things to add, as it makes the show a fun experience as well.

There was music, dancing, free food, free booze, drawings for trips, gear giveaways, and more. How much more fun do people want/need at a trade show? It already risks being a carnival as it is. Once the TENS device and magnetic bracelet vendors start having pretty girls handing out free booze... it will be all over for everyone. (Except for GoPro.)

Last edited:
There was music, dancing, free food, free booze, drawings for trips, gear giveaways, and more. How much more fun do people want/need at a trade show? It already risks being a carnival as it is. Once the TENS device and magnetic bracelet vendors start having pretty girls handing out free booze... it will be all over for everyone. (Except for GoPro.)

I want to make clear I do not want to emphasize on the alcohol, as being necessary to have a good time at the show.Drinks could be just normal beverages.
If everyone was happy with the amount of food offered than I can see this as a non issue.

I will add I did hear about a few drawings for trips ( a very good thing).

MUSIC, I must be getting deaf because I heard non of it. This I will be clear on. Turn it up a tad. You don't have to be a Go Pro Booth to enjoy it. Besides who says its going to turn into a carnival. Lets lighten up a bit. There where a lot of grumpy faces at that show. I think the atmosphere can use a little change. Some people are just afraid of change.

No offense but I do not agree with you on this point about the show.
The FUN aspect of my suggestions was merely a BONUS for attendees to have a greater experience. I gave you an example as to what we did at the show to help give this experience to attendees, they enjoyed it and thanked us for doing so.

I don't want to obscure the main issue of necessary changes the show should consider, so that it can meet the participants expectations.

Lets try to look at what can be done better for the next show. After all I gather most did not like their experience at the show. If you enjoyed yourself at the show, then the FUN part of my suggestions does not apply to you, perhaps others will like it.
There are other more important aspects of the show I was addressing earlier in my post. Do you have anything that could help DEMA organizers use to put on a better show for 2015?

Reactions: RJP
Okay, I've been slammed since the first day of DEMA so my head is in a hate-the-world mindset right now, so I apologize if I'm not able to restrain that well.

Perhaps it's all the time I've spent in Mexico cave diving, but I absolutely hate loud music for no purpose other than "excitement" and I doubly hate people bugging me to buy their crap. You (or someone from your booth) was awesome when I came by, I was thinking you were going to be one of the annoying salespeople (like the solar charger and massage idiots), but you actually wanted to show me the booth across the way's housings because they had stepped out for a moment. I appreciate that. I appreciate booths that when I walk up, they offer to answer my questions. I do not like booths where the reps just force a brochure into my hand as I walk by.

For me, I'm on the show floor for business. When I see a crowd forming due to free drinks/food or entertainment, I make a note to come back later when it's less crowded.

For me, if I want a party, I go to one of the many parties after the show is over since the work day is done. I kid, I still have hours of work to do back in my hotel room, but that can wait until the wee hours of the morning.

For me, the best way DEMA could improve the show floor is by not allowing those idiot a$$hole solar charger and massage salespeople every block or two, preferably not at all.

For me, the best way DEMA could improve the show is (as I already mentioned) by having decent seminars. I honestly don't mean this to be arrogant, but it's doubtful they could put on a seminar that teaches me anything about online marketing, but I believe in the whole rising tide lifts all ships concept and I'd like to see other people learn something valuable. The other thing would be not to have it in Vegas and if it's going to be in Vegas, go to the fun part of Vegas. The Westgate neighborhood sucks, sorry.

As it all stands, for me DEMA is what you make out of it. I learn something each time (don't waste time on DEMA sponsored seminars and make sure I have a buyer badge since no one cares about the free publicity behind a media badge), they all get progressively better because networking gets better every time you're around the same people. In my position, I'm finally starting to see a change within many of the manufacturers (maybe destinations will get on board too some day) to actually embrace marketing partnerships, so that's exciting for me.

And finally, here's my thoughts on trying to give ideas to DEMA: as Wookie has already made clear, they just don't care. Phrase it as "what can WE do to make it better" all you want, but hoping that this feedback will have any actual change from the DEMA side of things is about as likely as growing gills. I don't say that because I'm negative or pessimistic, far from it, I say it based on years of observation.

Back
Top Bottom