suggestions for dive beacon for night diving / low vis dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all,

looking for a dive beacon / marker to keep an eye on my dive buddy (and vice versa) in low vis environment or night diving. Also, when diving with my daughter, she gets easily distracted and can follow a fish during a night dive, so i need to make sure she is in my field of view. I only dive recreationally down to 40 meters.
Budget <$50 ea ideally unless there is something unanimously superior that's more expensive. Ideally should last >10 hrs, preferably >20 hrs. I believe flashing light is forcing viewer to pay attention to it more (from my neuroscience background) although for the same reason can be potentially distracting. The goal is for the light not to be too distracting yet visible. I believe non white light that's bright enough might fit the bill.

Based on my search around i've found the following items (only compiling it here for posterity). It's not all inclusive by any means. Hope this can be of use to others looking for the same in the future. Please, give opinions from personal experience. If you use and love something outside the list, please share. May thanks in advance.

• BigBlue EZ - $13, 24 hrs burn time, 2 CR2032 batteries. does not flash
  • BigBlue Rainbow - $18, burn time 12 (assuming steady light) to 24 hrs (assuming blinking mode), 2 CR2032 batteries
  • OrcaTorch SD01 - $15, single AAA battery, 108 hrs burn time, flashing more only
  • OrcaTorch SD03 - $35, single AA battery, no info of burn time
  • Xtar SD1, $20, CR123A battery, 10 hrs of light time when flashing, multiple colors, steady light function.
  • Underwater kinetics - $24, 2 AAA batteries, 24 hrs burn time, no flashing, steady light
  • LED marker Light (no brand?) offered at diversdirect $15, 3 LR44 batteries, 50 hrs burn time
  • ist dolphin / i-torch i-buddy anole dive beacon / promate firefly- $7(diveinn) - $25(amazon), 3 LR44 batteries, 72 hrs burn time, flashes. info is mixed depending on who sells it. Same design is available under many brand names with some different features.
  • Princeton Tech Aqua strobe - $40, single AA battery, 12 hrs burn time, white light
  • Tektite Mark-lite Chameleon - $ 100 hrs burn time, AA battery, color changing pattern. There is a cheaper alternative for $18, 200 burn time
  • Lazer Stik - $19, 3 LR44 batteries, 12 hrs burn time, unclear if flashes or steady light
  • Genwiss - $14 (amazon), 80 hrs burn time, 3 LR44 batteries. flashes and steady. Similar to XSTAR

Outliers (price wise)

• Lite Tracker by grace industries $130, 170 hrs burn time, flashing mode, 2 AAA batteries
  • Saeko LED strobe $54, 3 AA batteries, burn time 72 hrs, flashes once per 1.5 seconds, kinda low freq... white light

I recently picked up the XTAR SD1.

It seems better and brighter than the other commonly found mini-bulbs I have encountered before. I didn't do any visible range testing, but that will depend mostly on the visibility/turbidity of the water.

If your existing dive torches aren't working out for maintaining visual contact during night dives, then I doubt that adding a beacon is going to save the day.

It's all about how good your night diving protocol is as a team, which also overlaps with "low visibility" protocol.

I use the mini-light primarily to make it easier for people to know which diver I am, in a mess of multiple divers.

I like the Orca SD03s. It's nice being able to pick a color and steady/strobe according to the situation, and you can use as a regular light in an emergency. I put a rechargeable AA in mine, and top it off after every few dives. I prefer steady over strobe for night dives with good viz, but prefer strobe for low viz situations. I've used it as a beacon on dives off the FL panhandle with 10' viz and it's been great. I've never had to use white strobe light, but I bet it would be great in a lost at sea at night situation. This is one of the few pieces of gear that I bring on absolutely every dive. For tropical day dives it's my emergency light, for night/low viz dives it's my beacon and backup light.

I like the Orca SD03s.
does the light illuminate the cone body of the unit or the light is only coming/emitting from the circle front part? if it only comes front, it would be hard to be seen unless facing the head of the light.

does the light illuminate the cone body of the unit or the light is only coming/emitting from the circle front part? if it only comes front, it would be hard to be seen unless facing the head of the light.
found my answer on Youtube. It's neat as it does various combos. Wonder what's the burn time. Manufacture site mentions 250 hrs. wonder if true

found my answer on Youtube. It's neat as it does various combos. Wonder what's the burn time. Manufacture site mentions 250 hrs. wonder if true
it's the whole cone that lights up. I've only used for maybe 4-5 dives at a time before charging, so I can't speak to the max.

Edit: it's the whole cone for the colors. the white leds shine from the front.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom