Suggestions for diving setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree: don't get hung up on the manufacturer. Every manufacturer has specific items that they are known for. I currently use Scubapro and Atomic Aquatics regulators. But, I still have very fond memories of my old Mares MR12II. And it still lives on as my pony bottle regulator. Every manufacturer has recalled products and periods of quality control issues. Definitely keep on top of those things.

But look at gear from many manufacturers. Choose the items that you feel most comfortable with from manufacturers you trust. There is nothing wrong with choosing to use the best items from each manufacturer.

The question I get asked the most is "which regulator?" Here is what I tell them: Buy the best quality regulator that you can afford. It is probably the most important piece of equipment. But, don't obsess over it. If you can't afford the Super WhizBang Regulator, it's no big deal -> With modern materials and modern manufacturing methods, from all the well-established manufacturers, their lowest-end regulator is better quality than the high-end regulator they were making when I started diving.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 10:10 AM ----------

Still out in the open regarding wrist dive computer. Would love an AI one, but I found a lot of reviews on icon hd, vyper air, d4i, ... where people have nothing but problems with sensor or pc synchronization, battery life, ... In the end I'll probably just go for suunto zoop or mares puck.
I'd probably still get some argument, but a computer is now a mandatory piece of equipment IMHO. If you have to go cheap, get a simple computer that is easy for you to understand and operate. I agree that downloading or synchronization is the weak point on most computers. These features seem to be designed by diving engineers not computer engineers. They really ought to leave that sort of stuff to the real computer engineers. If I were designing it, they would all be WiFi or Bluetooth.

AI - The #1 advantage of Air Integration is that "Air Time Remaining" number. When I'm paying a lot of money to travel, I want that number so I can get max bottom time. I watch that number, when it starts getting low, I come up a few feet. That reduces my air consumption and extends the remaining time. I can skirt that number all the way up until I am at the surface with the required reserve.

Adding AI is expensive. But if you can afford it, it really is a useful feature.

Hello to everybody. Been reading a lot for the past few months and must admit that this forum is very informational.

I’m a total newbie diver, who just finished PADI OWD course. What can I say… what was I doing for the past 40 years?, which I should have spent under water :)

So now I would like to buy my own equipment – step by step. I would like to ask you fellow divers for your expertise and try to comment my current wish list.

Hopefully I’ll be diving 80% in Adriatic Sea, other mostly Red Sea, Malta, etc.
As you can see my list contains only Mares items. The reason is my nearby LDS caries only ans is an authorized dealer for Mares, and my previous great experience with their ABC equipment.

Here goes:
WetsuitMares Flexa 5-4-3200€
BCDMares Hybrid AirTrim490€
BootsMares Flexa 5mm45€
FinsMares Avanti Quattro+100€
RegulatorMares Prestige 12S210€
OctopusMares Prestige110€
ConsoleMares Mission 170€
ComputerMares Icon NET Ready780€
BagMares Cruise Classic50€
Total2,055€

Not sure about computer though. The price is without air integration. On the pros side... I'm a bit of an electronic fanatic and just love colored graphics displays...

For 200 euros, I have the wetsuit custom made. I just got mine from hotwavephuket.com, it fit perfectly and you can choose your style, colors, and zipper placement. They even gave me arm zippers at no additional cost.

My wetsuit, a 3mm longsleeved short was only $150 US and $50 shipping via EMS... you might want to look into them, they have an easy to use chart, and you have your wetsuit in 10 days...

Having just bought a bunch of equipment, I say look on ebay for many items, good pictures can tell you if the regulator has been kept up. I bought mine for $160 and spent $100 on getting it cleaned and inspected, but saved $250 US overall. Lots of computers like the ZOOP that will more than meet your neeeds until you take up tech diving., The Quattro+ are great fins, that's what I use. Boots are expensive too, they are a WEAR item, so just get some you can use and walk on the rocks with for $25US and then replace them in a year or two... the more expensive ones really aren't going to last much longer for the extra cost.

I am pretty happy with my latest mares purchase. 22 Abyss reg and matrix computer. The computer has a rechargeable battery which saves those often expensive battery changes, a great compass. You should check one out. A real lot of bang for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom