Suggestions for Pulau Tiga and Mantanani

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

55diver

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're going to Sabah for two weeks, and will spend most of it diving in Mabul/Sipadan. However, on the return, we plan to spend 3 days in Kota Kinabalu, 2 diving and 1 shore day. Any suggestions on which tour operator to use to set up hotel, diving, and shore excursion in KK?

Hi 55diver,

Let me mention first that I run a dive business based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I will share information on the best dive sites you could visit along the west coast of Sabah from KK - alongside Pulau Tiga & Mantanani. This will then help you to choose a Dive Operator who can best meet your needs for the dive sites you would like to visit.

There are a range of dive sites along the west coast of Sabah, all accessible from Kota Kinabalu. The ones you will go to depend up on the time of year you will be visiting Sabah and your diver certification / experience level.

Pulau Tiga (30nm south from KK) and Mantanani (~45nm north from KK) are both offshore dive locations. They are best dived from March - October (during the 'Dry Season'). During November - February we have the North East trade winds which impacts the sea state and can make offshore dive locations on the west coast of Sabah uncomfortable and not safe to travel to by boat. Both locations offer diving along shallow pretty coral reefs. Mantanani is renowned for it's stunning visibility and desert island like beaches. Pulau Tiga is best known for stunning corals and lots of fish life.

There are also three WW2 wrecks located 30nm north from KK in Usukan Bay - one is suitable for minimum PADI AOW Divers (or equivalent), the other two are suitable for technical diving only. This is due to the depth of the wrecks. The fish life, corals and macro life are stunning. We'll often see a large Grouper or Nurse Sharks at the Rice Bowl Wreck too.

Near the Usukan Bay WW2 Wrecks is Mayne Rock - pristine coral reef with two series of large boulders (20m - 5m) to go diving round and exploring. A nice complement to a wreck dive. For the wreck diving and at Mayne Rock you'll be the only divers in the water.

Last, but by no means least, the most popular dive destination from KK is Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP) - in terms of volume of divers who go there. Home to 5 islands and lots of different dive sites. All involve coral reefs (5m - 20m) and a wide variety of marine life. Perfect for chilled out leisure diving.

All Dive Operators in Kota Kinabalu offer TARP. Only a limited number of Dive Operators offer Pulau Tiga or Mantanani. Only one Dive Operaror goes to the wrecks & Mayne Rock.

Dive Operators in Sabah also have to be licensed Inbound Tour Operators - so the Dive Operator you choose should be able to suggest something for your dry day too.

Hope this helps you get the most from your diving in Sabah :)

DG

DG, thanks for sharing your thoughts! We took your advice, and enjoyed KK topside instead. However, we did spend an afternoon at the Green Connection outdoor aquarium, and even dove in one of the tanks and fed the rays and fish. That was a pretty cool grassroots facility that i hope you and other divers will support. Conservation and education are critical if we are to preserve the marine life diversity of Asia's waters. Thanks again! 55diver

Hi how are you doing Dreamdivegirl. I´m planning to visit Sabah, incluiding KK. Can you tell to your liking wich are the best dive sites accesible from KK. From what I heard (and read) Pulau Tiga-Snake Island and Mantanani Island. Do you know if it´s likely to see the Dugong in Mantanani Island. I read somewhre (over the rainbow :) ) that the sightings had stopped.

Thanks!

This is funny (after reading your other post). The best diving accesible from KK is at Layang Layang, IMHO.

Hi egnpaz,

Nice to hear from you.

Zippsy is right in that Layang Layang atoll offers world class diving and is accessible via Kota Kinabalu. You need to stay at Layang Layang Island Resort (minimum as 5D4N stay plus flights from BKI, Kota Kinabalu Airport, to Layang Layang) or you can go their via a liveaboard trip (e.g. White Manta) which offers a week long diving liveaboard departing from Sutera Marina in Kota Kinabalu which includes a few days diving at Layang Layang. You can also fly over to Tawau and stay at a Resort on Mabul / near Sipadan.

If you are looking a diving day trips from Kota Kinabalu during your holiday then the day trip diving destinations from KK include Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, Pulau Tiga, Mantanani, Usukan Bay WW2 wrecks and Mayne Rock. All can offer some very pleasant diving it just depends upon sea state / weather conditions and luck on the day :)

At Pulau Tiga the best dive sites are a couple of nautica miles south of the main island (not near Snake Island). At Mantanani the Dugong used to be a regular feature but I am afraid has not been seen for a few years now (I'd like to think they have swam off to nicer sea grass feeding grounds :wink:.

Which location you choose will depend up on how long you have, your budget and your diver certification level / diving experience.

I hope this helps and you enjoy your diving in Sabah (wherever you choose to go).

DG

Back
Top Bottom