Summer Carribean/Bahama suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gldnrm01

Registered
Reaction score
For folks who have seen it all we would appreciate some feedback:

We've been to: Grand Cayman (they say it's still getting over the H'canes); Cozumel for a week last year before the H'Canes - great vis & diving (too many mosquitoes at night), we want to see something different this year; Belize dives weren't so hot (weather was overcast 3-4' seas);

We know Bonaire is suppose to be great for just diving and we want to go some day, however, we would like a balance of good diving and on shore sites/tours - we'll go to Bonaire some day to just have a week of solid diving.

We really like places with super good vis and calmer waters, prefer seeing fish over corals, (we don't spearfish), we live in Florida - so we'll go to Largo a few times.

We'll probably do a crusie this summer with Cruise lines offering stops in places like: St. Thomas USVI; St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Nassau, Bahamas; St. Johns, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; - we have no idea what these places are like.

Our 2nd trip after/before crusie we would like to arrange a trip for 5 to 7 days somewhere (on land & depending what we can afford) what would be some places that you would reccomend that would balance some good dives with nice sites/facilities? (My wife wants to ck out Puerto Rico but i'm getting very mixed reviews)

Thanks!!!

Go to Costa Rica! I love, lolve, love, that place and there are tons of things to do topside. Check out some of the threads here on Costa Rica. If you'd like to know more information pm me once you have looked at the threads.

Note: You will want to fly into Liberia then perhaps fly out of San Jose. By doing that you can do everything CR has to offer! Meaning diving and fishing are near Liberia but the best whitwater rafting is near San Jose. Ok.

One more thing, lol. Check Liberia airport for major airlines. Most major airlines only come in on certain days and if you go by their schedule it is much cheaper. I like the off season best and the best hotel I have stayed at while there is the Villa del Sueno - awesome people.

Curacao has diving similar to Bonaire and more to do topside. Generally pretty calm and good viz.

Belize is pretty good, I wouldn't write it off based on lousy weather one trip. I'd suggest trying a liveaboard there.

Curacao is fantastic.- even if you are going their on your cruise, you would be happy to be there more than once. Lots to do in the water and out- check out one of the unlimited diving places like Habitat Curacao.

Bahamas is also fun, you might want to look into Andros or the exhumas.

I've heard good things about Costa Rica too, but haven't been there... definatly on my list of places to go.

gldnrm01:
We'll probably do a crusie this summer with Cruise lines offering stops in places like: St. Thomas USVI; St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Nassau, Bahamas; St. Johns, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; - we have no idea what these places are like.

Regarding the cruise destinations, I recommend diving in St. Lucia and Curacau quite a bit above the others. St. Thomas and Nassau can offer good diving, Aruba okay to good. Barbados adequate for one trip, but I prefer topside. St. Maarten, Antigua I skip.

BurBunny:
Regarding the cruise destinations, I recommend diving in St. Lucia and Curacau quite a bit above the others. St. Thomas and Nassau can offer good diving, Aruba okay to good. Barbados adequate for one trip, but I prefer topside. St. Maarten, Antigua I skip.

BurBunny, where did you dive in Antigua ? The diving out of English Harbour, south-east coast of Antigua is far better than the north & west coasts of the island.

gldnrm01:

Our 2nd trip after/before crusie we would like to arrange a trip for 5 to 7 days somewhere (on land & depending what we can afford) what would be some places that you would reccomend that would balance some good dives with nice sites/facilities? (My wife wants to ck out Puerto Rico but i'm getting very mixed reviews)

Thanks!!!

When we travel for diving, one of my wife's request's is that we go somewhere with 'rainforests and stuff to do other than diving.' Consequently, we've ended up in St Lucia (southern end near Soufriere.), Grenada, and the Grenadines island chain.

In St. Lucia the diving was very good with lots of color, tho no pelagics. Topside activities included quite a few activities and overall the island is very lush and mountainous. During our stay in Grenada, we found it to be one of the friendliest places we've ever been with lots to do. Haven't been there since they were hit by a hurricane two years ago.

Dominica another great location, though a bit rugged.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

T

MaraGirl:
BurBunny, where did you dive in Antigua ? The diving out of English Harbour, south-east coast of Antigua is far better than the north & west coasts of the island.

Mara, I believe we've had this discussion before :) I do have your suggestions marked for the next time I go to try another area, but until then, when someone asks my opinion, I tell them what I know from 3 stops there in the past.

Hopefully will get another chance soon to change my opinion... and have a great pina colada at Hemmingways!

Glad to hear that BurBunny - and whether you dive or not, I hope you enjoy your next trip to Antigua

Hey BurBunny and others, thanks for your responses thus far,
If, and i say If, we skip the diving altogether, would the topside activities be more worthwhile: (my wife really wants to see some cool sites)
1-10 scale with 5 being average - how would these compare?
St. Maarten
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Nassau, Bahamas
St. Johns, Antigua
Castries, St. Lucia
Bridgetown, Barbados
Oranjestad, Aruba
Willemstad, Curacao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom